How can I look after my mental health?

Mental Health Psychiatry

I just turned 21. Few months back, I dropped out of university and that hit me really hard. Seeing peers around your age excelling in life and having fun, that affected me a lot emotionally. I do understand that everyone has their own timeline, but I feel that age is catching up and there is no time to lose. Right now, I feel like I cannot concentrate on anything I do. Despite having a job, I feel out of place at work, and I'm not able to do anything productive. I lost interest in almost everything, even my favourite past time activities. I also find it hard to meet new people and make friends, or even strike a conversation with people. I feel so lost and stressed about life. What should I do to look after my mental health?

Thank you for describing your emotions so vividly and I can see that you have been suffering for quite some time. You do have some symptoms of anxiety and depression, and these include loss of interest, poor concentration, getting worried and having negative thoughts.

I have a few suggestions for you. First, it is time to sit back and re-assess the priorities in your life. Once you have decided on your life goals, then you can think of how to achieve them one by one.

Second, you will need to learn to break down a major, seemingly unattainable, task into smaller tasks that are achievable. Once you have achieved a small task, you can learn to reward yourself by spending time pursuing things that make you happy. These two strategies will help you deal with stresses and challenges in a more effective fashion. 

Third, you can arrange to see a counsellor at the counselling centre in Singapore or you can also arrange to seek treatment from a psychiatrist, who can then further evaluate your condition and see if you need medications or psychotherapy.

Like what you highlighted in the paragraph that you penned, we all have our own timelines and life is a marathon, not a short race. Every single step forward counts, and every long journey starts from small steps forward.

When you compare yourself with others who are more successful in their careers than you, you will also need to tell yourself that there are people who are lagging behind you. Everything is relative, it all depends all who you compare yourself with.

Keep your spirits high!

Dr Ng BY

Dr Paul Ang
Dr Paul Ang
"Family Physician with special interest in Mental Health"

I think there is more than meets the eye. Certainly there are a lot of life changes happening, but finding it hard to meet new people could be devastating for you.

You might need to drop by doctor's clinic to see what else can be done. Otherwise, exercise, sunlight and fresh air might be your only respite for the time being.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Mental Health Psychiatry or ask your own question now FOR FREE.