How can I prevent and treat cystic acne on my face? (photo)

Dr Stephanie Ho
4.7

"Skin specialist with over 20 years of experience"

Sorry to see that you are suffering from bad cystic acne on your face. The treatment options for acne would range from topicals for mild cases, to oral antibiotics, hormonal treatment and isotretinoin for more severe cases. 

As you rightly pointed out, isotretinoin (brand names include accutane, oratane etc) would be a very effective treatment for your type of condition. Most patients would improve on low dose isotretinoin after even just 3-4 months of treatment.

We would normally advise our patients to remain on the medicine for 8-12 months. It is extremely important that you do not get pregnant whilst you are taking isotretinoin but you can start trying for a baby after stopping the meds for 1 month. Therefore the acne management plan can fit in with your family planning which is to start trying only next year. It will be advisable to embark on an effective treatment plan as soon as possible, to prevent permanent scarring as well.

Hope this helps, and hope you get better soon.

"Doctor with interest in Aesthetics and Lasers"

It is good that you are seeking help for bad cystic acne! 

You are right, Isotretinoin (Acnotin, Roaccutane, oratane) is a very effective treatment for your cystic acne. Most patients would improve on low dose isotretinoin after 3 months of treatment. It is extremely important that you do not get pregnant whilst you are taking isotretinoin but you can start trying for a baby after stopping the meds for 1 month. 

Other treatments for your acne include topical creams, oral antibiotic and hormonal treatment. 

I suggest that you start an effective treatment plan as soon as possible, to prevent permanent scarring

I concur with the treatment approaches by my colleagues.

In addition, I would recommend accurate appropriate doses of intralesional steroid injections to treat the bigger cystic acne. If not treated well, cystic acne will lead to scarring.

Best Regards,

Dr David Deng

1) Appropriate products. Don't over DRY the skin, which is what people like to do. Use gel-based moisturisers instead of creams, add on some Adalapene and Dalacin Gel for the acne lesions.

2) I would still be an advocate of Isotretinoin looking at your acne type. You have oily skin and many large cystic lesions. Isotretinoin will help dry these up and you would be less troubled. Please note the pregnancy caution of the medications

3) I would actually suggest chemical peels to help dry out the acne lesions.

Please please seek help early to avoid bad scarring. I know how traumatic it can be

Winston