Admin DXD profile picture
Admin DXD

How can I reduce the size of my masseter muscle?

Dental

Hello, I am writing to enquire on how to reduce my masseter muscle. I have already went to National Dental Centre and their frontal X ray showed that my bone structure is symmetrical. Therefore it is my masseter muscle that is imbalance. It is my left masseter muscle that needs to be reduced. I know that it will take a few injections but over time and with more emphasis on chewing on the other side of my mouth will your treatment help to permanently reduce the size of my masseter muscle due to reduce usage? I really need your advise as it is bothering me. Regards, Concerned.

Dear Concerned,

The left masseter, if grossly imbalanced can be weakened with botulinum toxin. And yes, the frequency of injections will lessen over time due to reduced usage.

Do note that if you end up using the right side more because the left is weakened, you will end up with a strong right masseter, and need treatment for that too.

Some chewing equality and training is advisable, and I can guide you to the right direction for that if desired.

Hope it works out nicely for you!

0 1120 views 0 Doctors agree 26 Jan 2018

Dear Concerned,

You can consider Dysport injection to your larger masseter muscle. After the injection, it takes 1 month before you start to see the muscle atrophy (shrinking). The effect last 4 – 6months.

During this period, you can start to review your chewing habits. This includes having a habit of chewing with both sides of your jaw, avoiding nuts, and consulting a dentist to see if you need a dental mouthguard to prevent teeth grinding at night.

Most of my patients who have one side of their masseter larger do confess that they prefer to chew on that side of their jaw. Hence, after conscious effort to “re-train” their chewing habits, they do manage to overcome this problem, and not need to rely on Dysport/Botox injections. Thanks.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Dental or ask your own question now FOR FREE.