Do You Have 45 Seconds?
Leave Feedback
Please help us to improve DxD. Your opinion is important to us.
Leave Feedback

How can I remove hypopigmented white scar from double eyelid surgery?

Aesthetic Medicine

Hi! I did double eyelid surgery 4 years ago and while I love my eyelids open, there is a white scar when it is closed. I had enquiried with dermatologists in Korea on how to reduce to appearance of this scar, and they had recommended a few sessions of fraxel laser. However, I very much prefer to get treatment for this scar here at home, and was wondering what are my options?

Dr Terence Goh
"Plastic Surgeon at AZATACA Plastic Surgery"

I am sorry to hear about the whitened scars that you have after double eyelid surgery. However, do note that it is common to have a line (crease) along the pre-tarsal area for some individuals even though they may not have had surgery, but a white line is often a tell tale sign of surgery and it's often due to a stretched scar.

Hypopigmented scars are one of the hardest scars to treat conservatively. As the previous 2 doctors have mentioned, the scars are hardly visible as our eyes are often opened. Notwithstanding, I do understand the frustration along with the questions that are asked when people notice the line upon eye closure. I am unable to comment specifically as I have not seen your post-surgery photos. 

Laser treatments such as fractionated lasers can help to reduce the scarring and also induce pigmentation to obtain an improvement in scar appearance. You will need multiple sessions for this. Depending on the severity of the scar, this may be all that you need. The other option would be to do a scar excision and re-suture. For that the downtime would be about 1-2 weeks. 

I hope I have answered your questions. Have a great week ahead.

Dr Terence Goh
MBBS (Spore), MRCS (Edin), MMed (Surg), FAMS

AZATACA Plastic Surgery

AZATACA Plastic Surgery
38 Irrawaddy Road #06-48
Mount Elizabeth Novena Specialist Centre

1577 views 29 Aug 2018

That is a difficult area to treat and most people would ignore it since it is only visible when you close your eyes. This would not show up on photos since we normally keep our eyes open for that.

If you are still really keen on that treatment, fractional lasers like Fraxel will help after quite a few sessions. Re-excision of the scar may also be a good option – you will have to consult a plastic/eye surgeon for that.

Best Regards

Dr Chua Cheng Yu
MBBS, MRCS

Veritas Medical Aesthetics

13 Stamford Road #B2-36/37, Capitol Piazza Singapore 178905

I would agree with Dr Chua’s answer. Hypopigmentation is far harder to treat than hyper pigmentation.

Fractional laser is considered one possible treatment. But it does not guarantee results that will be satisfactory to you.

Regards

Dr Winston Lee
MBBS, MCEM, MPH

Inle Aesthetics and Anti-Aging Clinic

3 Simei street 6, #02-28

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Aesthetic Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.