How can I treat an inflamed mole, and when should I be worried?

Doctor's Answers (1)

Thank you for  the question.

In general, we worry about a mole when it shows the following features:

1. Asymmetry

2. Borders are irregular

3. Colour is variegate or uneven

4. Diameter  >0.6m

5. Evolution - the mole is enlarging or bleeding

If there are changes to a mole such as bleeding and crusting, and there are concerns of skin cancer, the mole can be excised and sent for histological testing to rule out a skin cancer or melanoma.

Mole excision is done under local anaesthesia. If in doubt, do visit  your doctor/dermatologist who will do a proper examination and advise you further on the need for excision.

Health on the Net Foundation

This site complies with the HONcode standard for trustworthy health information: verify here.

© 2020 DoctorxDentist PTE LTD. All rights reserved.

All content posted is for general informational purposes only and is not a substitute for professional medical advice. This Q&A is not a patient consultation and any information provided herein is not intended to replace consultation with a qualified medical professional. If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor immediately. Always seek the advice of your doctor before starting or changing treatment.

Quote RequestWhatsapp