How can I treat chronic fatigue syndrome?

Mental Health Psychiatry Health & Fitness TCM

I know that chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS)/myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME) is a "controversial illness", and not all Doctors recognise it. However, I would to find out more about how I can treat it. How do I find a doctor who can diagnose and treat CFS/ME? Is there a specialist in Singapore I could go to see? 

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms.  CFS/ME is usually something that is diagnosed after alternatives have been excluded. 

This includes low vitamin D, anaemia, hypothyroidism, inflammatory arthritis etc. 

Typical symptoms of CFS/ME can include muscle aches, general tiredness, low mood, low energy and joint symptoms.  

The challenge in CFS/ME comes from the overlap between physical and psychological symptoms - something that not everyone is comfortable with managing and hence your initial statement that not all doctors recognise it. 

One of the important steps in helping someone with CFS/ME is recognising that their symptoms are real and that they do not want to feel as they do. 

Often, there is not a "quick fix" to this condition and it requires a mixture of patience, pain relief, psychological input, exercise and a supportive physician.

During treatment, there can be ups and downs, with times of significant improvement and others when symptoms are so bad that you are unable to get out of bed.  Sometimes, patients can have symptoms for years before things improve.

I would suggest a combined treatment approach with a MSK physician who understands your condition, together with a physiotherapist, psychologist and dietician. 

Here in Singapore, other treatments such as acupuncture can also help.  Together this team can help manage your symptoms and over time, you may be able to overcome this condition with their support. 

The time frame cannot be predicted, but regular support and contact is essential.

I hope this helps answer your question and please let me know you have any further.

BW

0 69 views 13 Jan 2019
Contact Doctor
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Mental Health Psychiatry Health & Fitness TCM or ask your own question now FOR FREE.