How can TCM help a persistant cough?

TCM

30 yo. Coughing for 6 months. Excessive clear phlegm in throat. Unable to cough out. Been to GP and specialist. Completed all meds/anti-biotics. X-ray normal. But still coughing. No chest pain. No shortness of breath. No fever. No flu. Sinus once in a while. No weight loss. No fever. No gastric. Now seeing TCM. Just started taking taking the meds. Please advise.

Thank you for the enquiry and keen interest in TCM. I am also sorry to hear about your experience. 

Persistent cough without an apparent reason can be effectively managed using TCM herbal prescription. I see a lot of such cases in my practice. 

After a flu episode, you may have exhausted your Lung qi, which is necessary for defense and recovery. Chronic cough arises and you may require longer than usual time to recover.

Such cases usually exhibit as dry non-productive cough or minimal phlegm that is difficult to expectorate. Phlegm is usually thick and foamy. The cough comes in periodic episode due to bronchospasm, patient commonly complain of itchy throat, or sensation of a foreign object in the throat. 

According to my experience, the prescription consists of herbs which can invigorate Lung Qi (stabilize immune system), nourish Yin (replenish moisture and promote recovery), antispasmodic (to relax the smooth muscles in the airway) and phelgm dissolving (reduce secretion). 

I hope you feel better soon!

Jin Shun 

0 437 views 22 Oct 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged TCM or ask your own question now FOR FREE.