How can TCM treat insomnia?

Thank you for your interest in seeking TCM to manage your insomnia. 

tcm singapore insomnia

I always tell my insomniac patient that everyone is born with the innate ability to fall asleep, so sleep should happen naturally, just like breathing! Sometimes, what we need is just a little helping hand to tune us back. 

In fact, there are many possible reasons such as allergies, indigestion, pain, stress and anxiety which can lead to poor quality of sleep. Mental stress and fatigue makes up majority of the cases I see in practice. 

According to TCM, insomnia arises due to imbalances in yin and yang, which is analogous to the circadian rhythm. The sympathetic nervous system a.ka excitatory component (Yang) prepares us for fight and flight in the day, while the parasympathetic nervous system a.k.a relaxing portion helps us to unwind at night.

Due to availability of modern technology, we are now able to work 24/7 and are constantly exposed to large amount of information, which can lead to over-stimulation of the excitatory system and insomnia. 

We can only tackle the problem once its underlying cause is found. Hence, a physical consultation is necessary for a diagnosis to be made. Common methods we use include herbal prescription and acupuncture, examples are Rambling powder (逍遥散) and the Bai Hui (百会) acupoint respectively. 

In addition, patients are advised to abstain from mental work  or using of smartphones at least 1-2 hours before bedtime, have a small and light dinner and to regulate self emotional status. 

I hope you find this information useful! Do let me know if you have further question. 

Wishing you best of health!

Cheers!

TCM physician can treat insomnia through meridian massages, acupuncture and Chinese herbal medicine.

TCM Massage treatment and/ or acupuncture can be performed on acupuncture points such as Bai Hui (百会) and Shi Mian Xue (失眠穴) to improve the patient’s quality of sleep. [1]

As far back as in the Han dynasty over 2000 years ago, TCM herbal formula Suan Zao Ren Tang (酸枣仁汤) was used to treat sleeping disorders. Research has shown that Suan Zao Ren Tang is useful for Menopausal women who experience sleep difficulty as a symptom. [2]

References:

1. https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/health/acupoint-massages-0

2. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3108138/