How do doctors decide when to remove nasal polyps, and how much does it cost?

Ear, Nose & Throat

I'm a 24 years old young adult. When I look through my nostrils I notice a lump of flesh on each side of the nostril which blocks my nose. I have constant nose block and I rarely breathe through my nose, I mostly breathe through my mouth; but I'm used to it as this has been my practice since young. I've read that nasal polyps may contribute to these symptoms. As some people mentioned that nasal polyps aren't serious, I'm not sure if it is necessary to remove them. How do doctors decide when to remove nasal polyps? How much does the procedure to remove nasal polyps cost?

Thank you for your enquiry. Nasal polyps are usually benign inflammatory growths from the lining of the nasal cavity and sinuses. The cause is largely unknown although chronic sinus infection, allergies, disorder of the immune system and genetic factors have been implicated. 

Common symptoms of patients with nasal polyps include:

• Nasal blockage
  • Facial congestion or pain
  • Postnasal drip (backdrip of mucous from the nose down to the throat)
  • Loss of or decreased sense of smell
  • Thick or coloured nose mucous (when the nose or sinuses are infected)

Troublesome blocked nose are common and I do see many such patients who have failed medical treatments in my clinic. Many of my patients do mistaken the "pink round lumps" attached to the side wall of their nose as "polyps".

Large polyps occupying the entire nasal cavity and visible...>

...>Enlarged turbinates (often called inferior turbinate hypertrophy medically) are one of the most common cause of blocked nose. Enlarged turbinates are commonly found in patients with sensitive nose (medically known as Rhinitis). To find out more about sensitive nose, do check out my article on DxD.

To ease your concern, I would suggest a visit to an ENT Specialist for an assessment. A scope through the nose (nasoendoscopy) can be performed in the clinic. This is a relatively painless procedure that takes less than 3 minutes to perform.

As for how to go about seeing an ENT Specialist in Singapore, including costs, do check out my article on DxD.

Hope this helps and all the best!

321 views 10 Aug 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Ear, Nose & Throat or ask your own question now FOR FREE.