How do I get help for mental illness in Singapore if I can't afford it?

Mental Health Psychiatry Singapore Healthcare

I'm 17 this year, and believe I'm having depression and various anxiety, for years now. Due to environmental factors and events, I've recently gotten worse and am finally thinking of seeking formal help. However, my parents do not believe in mental illnesses, and I am aware they will not provide me with any form of support be it monetary or emotionally, and I can't afford any medical fees incurred myself. Should I still consider trying to look for help? How do I get help?

If you are attending a school, you can approach the school counsellor for help. You can also approach a family physician for help. The doctor will then assess your condition and then treat you at the clinic or refer you to the appropriate facility.

You can also seek treatment at the polyclinic. There are social workers at various hospitals in Singapore and they will assess your financial status and assist you in whatever way that is possible. 

495 views 3 Nov 2018

Sorry to hear about your predicament. You should definitely seek help in Singapore, and there are various avenues of support and resources, as previously detailed in these posts:

Where should I go to seek help in Singapore if I'm unsure whether I have mental issues?

Where can I get counselling and help for my mental state problems if I am unemployed?

Taking your age and situation into consideration, the best avenues would be:

1. Go to CHAT hub at *Scape, which is a one-stop centre for mental health help and resources.This service is provided for by IMH, and is targeted at youths aged between 16-30 years old.  Their mental health checks are done in two private rooms. Many young people come here to pick up information about mental health, ask us any mental health questions they may have.

2. Get a referral from a polyclinic to see a psychiatrist in a restructured hospital. They'll make the necessary referrals for you to see a counsellor/psychologist.  

1015 views 24 Jun 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Mental Health Psychiatry Singapore Healthcare or ask your own question now FOR FREE.