How do I get rid of a double chin, and how much does it cost?Aesthetic Medicine Plastic Surgery
I am a 33 year old female who has gained significant weight. I now have a double chin, and would like to get rid of it and make it smaller. Which treatment(s) can help with this, and what are the costs involved?
Having a double chin is a common concern. Various factors can give rise to the appearance of a double chin:
1. skin laxity of the neck and lower aspect of the face. This could be due to ageing and sun exposure.
2. excessive fat accumulation under the chin. This is likely to be genetic in nature.
3. an underdeveloped chin and jawline. This results in a short upper neck which gives the appearance of a double chin especially at certain movements and at certain angles.
Depending on the cause, the following treatments are commonly done:
1. CoolSculpting is a US FDA approved, non-invasive, fat reduction treatment utilising fat-freezing technology to eliminate fat cell. The CoolMini applicator is perfect for the treatment of fat under the chin.
2. Ultherapy utilises focused ultrasound to non-invasively, lift and tighten facial and neck skin. In this case, Ultherapy helps create a slimmer upper neck and jawline through the stimulation of new collagen production in the deep supportive layers of the skin.
3. Dermal fillers like Juvederm and Restylane work well for people who have the appearance of a double chin due to an underdeveloped or retracted chin. Enhancing the chin and jawline with dermal fillers restore the normal shape of the lower face to reduce the appearance of a double chin.
You may want to speak to your doctor to discuss the cost and options before deciding.
Dr. Terence Tan
I would recommend you to try radio-frequency V-Face Treatment which is non-invasive and effective. It will help to lift and tighten the skin at your lower face, achieving a sharper and more defined face shape. The treatment will also lift the cheeks area and reduce nasolabial folds.
Patients usually see noticeable results right after the treatment. It's recommended to have at least 5 sessions to achieve longer-lasting results.
You can also consider Thermage or ultherapy to the chin and lower face if you only have time for one treatment . The improvement continues over the next 6 months after the treatment.
Treatment options will include:
1. High Intensity Focused Ultrasound (HIFU treatment) over the submental and jawline region to lift and tighten the skin around that area. Price starts from $688
2. Radiofrequency (RF) treatment - either with RF fat radiolysis needling treatment e.g. AGNES, or with non-invasve RF therapies e.g. Tripollar to help reduce the appearance of the double chin. Prices start from $798 for AGNES fat radiolysis and $198 for Tripollar therapy at our clinic.
3. Cryolipolysis treatment or commonly known as "fat freeze" therapy over the submental region. Prices start from $500 at our clinic
4. Upper neck/submental thread lifts - Prices start from $1788 at our clinic
5. Kybella (Sodium Deoxycholate) injection over the submental region to destroy fat cells over that region. However, currently it is only approved by the US FDA for this indication. This treatment is not available in Singapore yet.
Some people are genetically inclined to develop a double chin as they age or gain excessive weight.
I recommend CoolMini as it is an FDA-approved, non-surgical treatment for double chin, or fat under the chin. It uses a small attachment to the popular CoolSculpting device, which precisely freezes and destroys fat below the surface of the skin.
Patients often see results after one to two treatments. The price starts from $600, depending on how many placements are needed.
Hope the above information helps.
Dr Lam Bee Lan