How do I get rid of a ringworm infection? (photo)

Skin, Hair & Nails

I have tried various anti-fungal creams prescribed by a doctor for my ring worm infection, but it does not seem to help. I find that it is getting bigger and itchier. 

Thank you for your question and pictures posted. I suggest you return to your doctor who has been treating you as he would probably know your history and evolution of this rash best as he has been following up on your condition.

This is because simple, uncomplicated tinea corporis is usually treated with topical anti-fungal therapy with good response in 2-3 weeks, provided you also control the risks factors that contributed to its development (e.g. washing clothing/bedding/towels in hot water). If topical medication does not work, a short course (up to 2 weeks) of oral anti-fungal therapy should work. 

However, if both topical and oral medication does not clear your rash, it may be important to consider whether this could instead be another condition apart from tinea corporis. Your doctor should be able to advise you more if there is a suspicion of this from your history and by doing a physical examination. 

Best regards,

Dr. Joanna Chan

466 views 16 Nov 2018

Thank you for your question. From your photos, and your history of a non-response to anti-fungal creams, it is highly likely that the rashes are not due to a fungus.

Similar looking rashes can occur in eczema and other less common conditions. Do see a trusted dermatologist who can take a thorough history and examine all of your skin properly,  before an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan can be recommended. Hope this helps!

Best regards

Dr Stephanie Ho, Dermatologist

420 views 18 Nov 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Skin, Hair & Nails or ask your own question now FOR FREE.