How do I get rid of acne bumps on my nose and chin? (photo)

I've been suffering from acne on my nose and chin since 4 years ago when I was 14. Can I know what's the most effective and affordable treatment for my acne and scars?

You seem to be suffering from mild papulopustular form of acne, and it is a good idea to control them early, lest you be left with more scars to deal with in the future.

Basic treatment of acne include the use of retin or differin topical creams/gels (approx 30-50 SGD a tube, lasts about 1 month) over the face - this helps in the prevention of acne and stimulates skin  renewal. 

Spot treatment of active acne with Benzyl Peroxide or clindamycin (also about 40 SGD a tube) gels is usually combined with the above to help with actively inflammed acne spots.

The addition of acidic toners like Salicylic acid toners (typically 50-100 SGD a bottle) can help further control sebaceous gland activity and reduce acne occurance.

Should these not suffice, oral medication such as oral antibiotics or oral isotretinoin can be used to help control those pesky sebaceous glands.

Should you wish to further enhance acne management, treatments such as chemical peels (150-250 SGD a session) or certain lasers (200-400 a session) can help in deactivating and controlling acne. These treatments are performed once every 2 weeks for the initial few sessions, and maintained at 4 weekly intervals for tight control of the glands.

Acne is a long-drawn affair, and many of us maintain on the above topical creams for many years to prevent the occasional acne from recurring. At 18, you can expect frequent acne to be around for another 5 to 7  years. Some patients experience adult acne and the problem can persist well into their 30s.

With regards to Scars, you can refer here: How Can I Get Rid of Superficial Acne Scarring for my input on scar management; it is more costly but a good investment in the long run for your skin. It would be wise to control the acne properly before commencing scar management first.

The above treatments need titration in dose and frequency of use, so I would advise a thorough consultation before the use of them on your own; they can irritate the skin if used excessively in combination.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Dr Shane Abucewicz Tan

0 1000 views 4 Jun 2018
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Acne & Scars Aesthetic Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.