How do I know if my wound is healing after wisdom tooth extraction?Dental Wisdom Teeth
I have just had my wisdom tooth removed 5 days ago. However, I am worried that it is not healing well as I see a 'hole'. As of now, it does not hurt. How do I know if my wound is healing after wisdom tooth extraction, as I have read about dry sockets after tooth extraction? Please advise, thank you!
When wisdom teeth are taken out, minimal wound closure ie gums merging together to close the socket hole usually takes about 2 weeks.
Signs and symptoms that the socket is not healing includes
1. Pain - dull ache that does not decrease or increases over the next few days
2. Bad taste / smell - usually a sign of a dry socket if this starts only 3 -5 days after the wisdom tooth has been taken out
3. Swelling / bruising - usually dissipates in 1 - 2 weeks but if it stagnates then it is best to consult with your dentist
Tips to help with wisdom teeth healing include
1. Ice pack on the side of the surgery
2. Avoid smoking / alcohol
3. Rinse thoroughly after meals (only 24 hours after the surgery)
4. Eat on the other side during recovery period
5. Drink lots of water
Hope this helps and wishing you a speedy recovery!
This Is What To Expect During Your Braces Journey, According To An Orthodontist
This post was written in conjunction with Dr Shiming. Wearing braces can be rather daunting due to the amount of commitment required and time...READ MORE
Guide To Wisdom Tooth Extraction Costs In Singapore (2019)
Because our last insider post on Invisalign costs in Singapore proved so popular, we are back with the next article in our series on dental costs in...READ MORE