How do I prepare for a gastrointestinal endoscopy?

Dr Quan Wai Leong
4.8

"A specialist in Digestive Health and Advanced Endoscopy"

Depending on the type of endoscopy you plan to have, the preparations can be merely a 6 to 8 hour fasting to drinking 2 to 3 litres of bowel prep fluid overnight. In general, most doctors have their own advice on how to prepare you for the endoscopy process. Please follow their advice closely so that you will get the best outcome from your endoscopy.

One simple tip that I provide my own patients for colonoscopy is to chill their bowel prep solution in the fridge after preparing. A few drops of lime juice may go a long way in making the drink more palatable. 

Do pay attention to your doctor’s advice on whether to stop any medication before the procedure. This is especially important if you are taking diabetic medicines or any blood thinning agent to minimise possible complications during the procedure.

Lastly, have a good rest before the procedure and try to relax your mind and not to get too worried. Most of my patients are surprised to find out how comfortable the entire process is after completing the endoscopy.