Terence from Singapore asked a question

How do I treat a bulging disc that is causing lower back pain?

Orthopaedic Surgery Sport Medicine Health & Fitness

Hi, I'm a 26 year old male. I suffered a bulging lower back disc after my NS because of prolonged periods of carrying heavy equipment. Are there any ways of treating my bulging disc and back pain so that I'm able to carry heavy things again? 

Hi Terence. Sorry to hear that you’re suffering from chronic back pain. There are different treatment options catered for different severities of prolapsed intervertebral discs (slipped/bulging disc). You can consider anti-inflammatory pain medication and physiotherapy for a start. If your pain still persists you should consider visiting your GP or Orthopaedic Surgeon for a consultation. 
0 197 views 1 Doctors agree Wed Sep 12 2018 05:54:47 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear Terence

Thanks for the D2D. This question is a common one I’m afraid with NS and also with office work!

You see, while carrying heavy items is a cause for back pain, so too is office work, where you are slumped over a computer of laptop for hours at a time and as a consequence your back can start to deteriorate.

As Dr Chung mentions, getting assessed is useful and certainly alternatives would be to start with an integrated Sports/MSK service where a sports/msk physican, physiotherapist or rehab specialist can assess, investigate and start treatment for you.  Then, if needed, a surgical consultation can be arranged.

Hope this helps. 

Bw

0 144 views 0 Doctors agree Mon Sep 17 2018 02:01:50 GMT+0000 (UTC)

Dear Terence, 

Thank you for your email. I agree with what Dr Chung or Dr Dinesh have said. It is an extremely common problem seen in people, whether young or old. First line of treatment is always medication and physiotherapy to strengthen the core and paraspinal muscles.

If that does not work, and the pain is persistent, and if MRI does show a disc bulge and/ or annular tear, another option that you may want to consider is a nucleoplasty,  annuloplasty and facet block of the affected levels. It works very well, and may patients do find symptomatic relief. Of course not all conditions are suitable, and some patients may well require open surgery. But nonetheless, it would be a good option to explore with your orthopaedic surgeon. Alot of my patients do very well after this procedure, and I think it is something that you may want to consider if your pain does not improve with conservative managment methods.

Kind regards

Dr Sean Ng

0 131 views 0 Doctors agree Fri Sep 21 2018 07:16:33 GMT+0000 (UTC)
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Orthopaedic Surgery Sport Medicine Health & Fitness or ask your own question now FOR FREE.