How do you get rid of a keloid scar from acne?

Acne & Scars Skin, Hair & Nails

I had a keloid scar that was from an acne when I was a teen, and till now there is some irritation and redness. How can I get rid of it?

Thank you for your question. It is unfortunately quite common for acne to leave raised keloid scars in certain areas, such as the jawline, chest and back. From my experience, these scars are best treated with a combination of a pulsed dye laser and steroid injections.

It may require 3-5 monthly sessions, and can result in good lightening and flattening of the scars. Do see a trusted dermatologist or doctor with experience in scar treatment for advice. Hope this helps!

Best regards

Dr Stephanie Ho, Dermatologist

476 views 18 Nov 2018

Keloid scars are a result of overgrowth of granulation tissue that has grown beyond its boundaries of the original wound. In comparison to a hypertrophic scar which are raised but has NOT grown beyond the boundaries of the original wound. 

Treatment for both varies depending on severity and duration. Combination of steroids and laser may help and recently studies have shown the involvement of using botox can also aid in the symptoms. I would avoid things like radiotherapy and topical chemotherapy agents.

Keep in mind that keloid scars are never "cureable" and excision should be refrained as recurrence rate are extremely high and they come back with a "vengeance". 

Expectations should be symptom control foremostly - pain,itchy, and prevention of ulceration. Secondary goals should be to flatten and to reduce redness as much as possible. 

Duration of treatment can range from 6months to over 1 yr. 

I hope this has answered your question. 

365 views 15 Dec 2018

Treatment of keloid scarring due to acne is determined by the extent, and how long the keloid is. Treatment for scar that has long arisen will be more difficult than the new ones.

This problem is usually determined by genetic factors, and caused by severe inflammation that occurs when the acne appears.

The most common treatment option is to inject corticosteroids directly into the lesion, and this sometimes needs to be combined also with laser procedure.

547 views 15 Nov 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Acne & Scars Skin, Hair & Nails or ask your own question now FOR FREE.