Need COVID-19 guidance? Check out our latest resources

How does having an IMH record affect my chances of getting into medical school in Singapore?

• Answered2 times
  • Viewed525 times

"Family Physician with special interest in Mental Health"

IMH records are supposed to be medical records, that stays in IMH. No other government agency should be able to access it.

NUS is an educational institution, there shouldn't be a way for them to retrieve your medical records.

NUS medical school does not discriminate against race, gender or medical conditions. There should be no reason why it should affect your medical school application.

Moreover, it is very common to have a mental illness, up to 1 in 5 people will have. For example in a class of 300 medical students, 60 of them would have seen a psychiatrist or psychologist.

So, go ahead and apply, and go ahead and seek treatment.

"Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience"

Thank you for asking such an important and relevant question. May I assume that you are interested in pursuing medical education in Singapore so that you can eventually become a doctor. When applying for medical school, having a history of psychiatric consult may not be seen as a negative point or be held against you. The school likes to know so that it can make special arrangements to help students cope with the rigors of medical studies and provide them with all the necessary support. What is important to ask yourself would be the following  questions: Why am I interested in becoming a doctor? Am I prepared to put in all the necessary effort, hard work and sacrifices?

You need to be mindful that medical school is demanding in terms of time and effort; you may not have very much time for social life and other pursuits. Also, quite a number of doctors gave up medicine practice as they lose interest in it after a while. They probably entered the profession for the wrong reason, e.g., to make their parents happy or proud of them.

You also need to discuss with your treating psychiatrist if your condition is fully resolved, stable and whether your condition is still vulnerable to relapses when exposed to stressful situations.

Rest assured that your records with the restructured hospitals will be kept confidential and do continue to seek the help that you need to get well.

I wish you success in your pursuit of tertiary education and a career that is driven by interest and passion.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own question now FOR FREE.

Filler Lifts Vs Threadlifts In Singapore: Cost And Comparison (2020)

Lunchtime rejuvenation procedures are fast gaining popularity amongst Singaporeans in recent years. These procedures are dubbed as "lunchtime procedures" because they take very little time to perform and do not have any recovery period.

Most of the time, you will be able to see improvements in just a short period of time and return to your daily routine immediately.

I often get patients asking me if a filler lift or a threadlift is better. In my opinion, both are good and effective if done properly and for the correct indications. In some cases, one or the other may be more preferable.

Therefore, I have decided to write this article to help those of you who are keen on getting fillers or thread lifts to improve the signs of ageing. In this post, I will explain in detail the differences and how to choose the most suitable one for yourself. 

Botox VS Dermal Fillers: All You Need To Know About The 2 Alternatives To Non-surgical Facelifts

Over the years, people have known Botox and dermal fillers as relatively simple solutions to improve features as well as to attain desirable facial aesthetics. While both are given through injections and are minimally invasive, they do have their fair share of differences. I hope that through this article, it will help you to understand more about these two treatments.

The Ultimate Guide to Dark Eye Circle Treatments in Singapore (2020)

Dark eye circles are a huge concern to a lot of people. That is true for both students and working professionals. They are not much of a health problem but its appearance can be quite bothersome.

Dark eye circles can make you look tired and unmotivated. On top of that, they do not go away easily. That can be a huge problem if your job requires you to meet with clients.

Although most people think that lack of sleep is the main cause of dark circles, there are actually many more determining factors. Those factors are important in determining the most effective way to treat them.

I wrote this article to help you with your research. Read on to find out more!

The Ultimate Guide to Filler Complications in Singapore (2020)

Dermal fillers, or just fillers, are one of the most popular minimally invasive aesthetic treatment out there. Getting dermal fillers is generally safe, however, there are still potential side effects that may occur, as with any medical treatment, and they can be temporary or long-term.

I am Dr Shane Tan, an aesthetic doctor at The Aesthetic Loft Clinic. In this article, I categorise dermal fillers into Hyaluronic acid (HA) and non-HA types, explain how they work and the possible complications each may cause. I will also talk about how you can respond to them if they happen.

Dermal Fillers in Singapore: The Tell-All Guide by An Aesthetic Doctor (2020)

Dermal filler has become a staple in medical aesthetic clinics; it is no longer a novelty for people to have filler injected to refresh their looks or enhance their facial features. What kinds of dermal fillers are there? How much do they cost? What are their side effects? Let me guide you through finding the right Dermal Filler for you.