How does phototherapy work in treating psoriasis?

• Answered1 time
  • Viewed104 times

Phototherapy involves the use of ultraviolet light to treat skin diseases. This can be used to treat a number of skin conditions including psoriasis, eczema and vitiligo.

In psoriasis, narrow-band ultraviolet B (NBUVB) light is most commonly used to treat psoriasis. NBUVB suppresses the immune cells and activity in the skin. Psoriasis is due to increased immune activity in the skin, which drives the inflammation and hyper-proliferation of the skin. By suppressing the skin immune response, psoriasis can be controlled.

Side effects of phototherapy can be divided into acute or chronic side effects. The acute side effects include the risk of tanning and sunburn. Chronic side effects include skin ageing and skin cancer. Overall, phototherapy is a fairly safe and effective treatment option for psoriasis.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

The Complete Guide To Seeing A Dermatologist In Singapore (2020)

I'm writing this post because "recommend me a good dermatologist in Singapore" is one of the questions I'm most often asked by friends -  Now I can just direct them to this post.

A dermatologist is a medical doctor with specialist training who treats diseases of the nails, hair, and skin. In Singapore, dermatology is considered a medical specialty, and only doctors certified as dermatologists by the Ministry of Health are recognised as such.

This post explains in detail how to find a suitable dermatologist for your condition and treatment needs in Singapore.

Ask Dr Colin Theng: Psoriasis

Psoriasis is a chronic, inflammatory skin disease. While the causes and risk factors are still unknown, researchers believe the two main culprits are your genes and your environment. 

Currently, there is no cure for psoriasis, but there are treatments to help relieve symptoms.

Learn more about this chronic and unpredictable disease from Dr Colin Theng, as he hosts a QnA session where he answers all your questions. 

The Best Ways To Treat And Manage Psoriasis, Explained By A Dermatologist

In recent years, there has been an increasing demand for dermatology services at Singapore's National Skin Centre (NSC). One of the top 10 skin diseases treated at NSC is Psoriasis; a condition affects approximately 1-2% of the population in Singapore. 

Psoriasis is a chronic, non-contagious skin condition that occurs when your skin cells multiply and are replaced too quickly. Often, it is accompanied by inflammation. As a result, the condition appears as red scaly patches.

DoctorxDentist invited Dr Colin Theng, a fully accredited dermatologist and the president of the Psoriasis Association of Singapore, to answer readers' questions on the causes and treatment options for psoriasis. 

The Complete Guide To Vitiligo Treatment In Singapore By A Medical Doctor (2020)

"General Practitioner with an interest in vitiligo"

Vitiligo is an acquired skin condition where areas of the skin lose their pigment over time, resulting in the formation of white patches on the skin. Famous personalities living with vitiligo include Winnie Harlow (of America’s Next Top Model fame), Joe Rogan, Amitabh Bachchan, and most notably, of course, Michael Jackson. 

This is not a rare condition. In fact, as many as one in 100 people are estimated to be living with vitiligo. However, even though vitiligo is relatively common in our population, there are large gaps in knowledge regarding the condition in Singapore and Asia.

As a doctor who focuses on treating patients with vitiligo, I decided to write a guide to share my experiences. I will touch on the condition, how it is managed in Singapore, and methods with which people living with vitiligo can improve and maintain the health of not just their skin, but also their overall physical wellness.

Read on to find out more about:

• What is vitiligo and what causes it?
  • What are the symptoms of vitiligo?
  • Who is more likely to get vitiligo?
  • Is vitiligo hereditary?
  • Can vitiligo go away by itself?
  • Can vitiligo be prevented?
  • How is vitiligo diagnosed?
  • Can vitiligo be cured?
  • How is vitiligo treated in Singapore?
  • When should I seek treatment for vitiligo?
The Ultimate Guide to Aesthetic Clinics in Singapore (2020)

You may have searched online and may have found aesthetic clinics, but your search did not return any aesthetic doctors in Singapore. Do you wonder why? How can you choose an aesthetic clinic among all the others? Are they all the same or very similar?