How does surgery for a deviated septum change my nose appearance?

Ear, Nose & Throat Plastic Surgery

Can surgery for my deviated septum change the appearance of my nose? If so, how? I am thinking to have my deviated septum corrected, and I was wondering if the surgeon could improve the appearance of my nose at the same time.  

Yes and No.

The nasal septum is a midline structure in the nose composed of cartilage and bones. It is the main structural support of the nose. Without a good septum, breathing function is compromised.

There are some parts of the septum that are visible (top and front parts), whereas the other parts of the septum are not visible (inside part). Depending on where the deviation of the septum is located , it may or may not be visible.

Deviations involving the top or front parts of the septum can cause the nose to appear visibly deviated, while deviations involving the deeper portions of the septum will not cause any visible deformities.

Correcting the deviations in the top and front parts of the septum will change the appearance (straightening a crooked nose) even if the goal was purely to address breathing issues. 

On the other hand, if your deviation is not involved in the top and front septum, it will not change the appearance -- unless you want to, in which case the surgeon will use the excess cartilage obtained from the correction (very precious and excellent material for augmentation that would be otherwise thrown away) to create the changes you want.

Dr Tan Kar Su‎
MBBS, MRCS, MMed, FAMS

THE RHINOPLASTY CLINIC ENT FACIAL PLASTICS
38 IRRAWADDY ROAD
Mount Elizabeth Novena Specialist Centre
#04 - 35 Singapore 329563

186 views 25 Jun 2019

Septoplasty alone to address a deviated nasal septum is not meant to change the shape and appearance of your nose.

A rhinoplasty can also be done at the same time (Septorhinoplasty) to change the shape of the nose.

Septorhinoplasty can be functional or cosmetic, this will depend on the assessment by your surgeon at the time of consultation. 

Dr Valerie Tay
MBBS, MRCS (Edin), MMED (ORL), FAMS (ORL)

TAN TOCK SENG HOSPITAL
11 JALAN TAN TOCK SENG

493 views 12 Dec 2018

As Dr Tay pointed out, you can get the shape and appearance of your nose operated on at the same time as the septoplasty. That would be considered another surgical procedure. 

That would likely involve the insertion of implants and cartilage for the aesthetic shaping of your nose bridge and nose tip and columnella. 

So the answer is “yes” to your question.

Dr Israr Wong
MBBS

TES Clinic For Face And Jaw

TES Clinic For Face And Jaw
304 Orchard Road, Lucky Plaza Medical Suite #05-42

475 views 23 Dec 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Ear, Nose & Throat Plastic Surgery or ask your own question now FOR FREE.