Need COVID-19 guidance? Check out our latest resources

How effective is subcision without fillers?

• Answered2 times
  • Viewed2,536 times

"Doctor with interest in Aesthetics and Lasers"

Yes, Subcision is one of the most effective and best Acne Scar treatments, especially if you have deep pitted scars.

Subcision for deep acne scars

Subcision without fillers is definitely effective. 

In certain types of deep atrophic acne scars that are tethered down to underlying muscle, Subcision can be more effective than Lasers (Fractional CO2/Erbium/INFINI).

How does subcision work?

The subcision acne scar procedure is more than just the mechanical release of the strands of scar tissue. Multiple biological processes are thought to occur to bring about acne scar improvement.

The mechanical action of the needle and release of the scar tissue creates a pocket beneath the skin. Blood vessels which are disrupted during the process, allows blood to accumulate into the treated area. The blood is useful to prevent short-term reattachment of the scars.

Overtime the healing phase leads to a reorganisation of blood and growth factors are released. This creates an environment for connective tissue and collagen regeneration and further reorganisation. 

In addition, the healing phase that follows subcision stimulates collagen growth, repair and improvement of the scar appearance over time.

Subcision + fillers - gives even better acne removal results

I usually combine subcision with bio-stimulatory / collagen boosting fillers for best results.

This is because studies have shown that there is 20% chance that the fibrous scar tissue might "re-form" during the recovery process after subcision. Fillers help to decrease this risk. 

Scar tissues "re-forming" is also another reason why more than 1 session of subcision might be needed for good acne scar removal results. 

Please speak to your acne scar doctor for a detailed scar assessment and treatment plan.

Hope that this helps!

If you have described it as deep pitted scars, I would suggest that you speak to your doctor first. It is my experience that many patients have pre-formed notions of the correct treatments for their type of scars.. which usually isn't that correct.

I would probably consider TCA Cross for the deep pitted scars instead. Any photos would be useful!

But that said, pertaining to your question, I echo Dr Boey's idea that subcision with fillers improves the overall appearance by reducing re-attachment rates AND the biostimulatory effects would help plump up the atrophic scarred areas.

Generally my patients have been satisfied with their subcision results with the use of fillers.

So hope it works for you too.

Winston

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own question now FOR FREE.

An Aesthetic Doctor Reviews Acne Scar Removal Treatments in Singapore (2020)

Dealing with acne in your youth is bad enough, but the scars left behind can be a real nightmare.

New patients often ask me 2 common questions:

• “I’ve tried one laser session before. Why don’t I see results yet?”
  • “I still have acne scars and uneven skin texture despite 10 sessions of chemical peels. Why?”

This is why I have decided to write this article to help those of you who are struggling with acne scars. The best outcomes usually result from a combination of different methods, individualised to your skin type and scar! Here's what you need to know. 

These 3 Dermal Fillers Can Work For Acne Scars: An Aesthetic Doctor Discusses

"Dedicated to the ethical practice of Aesthetic Medicine"

Scar tissue can be hard to eradicate and clear off, especially in people with persistent acne problems. Treatments and products have flooded the Singapore market and various solutions for dealing with acne marks and scars can be confusing too. Fillers can be effective for facial sculpting, but how well do they actually work for scarring?

Dr Chin Yee Choong is the medical director of Dermclear Aesthetic & Laser Clinic. 
He responded to a couple of DoctorxDentist reader questions about the differences between the many fillers available in Singapore, and whether or not they are effective solutions for scars. Here is his advice.