Septoplasty is any surgery that modifies the bony or cartilaginous septum of the nose.
This can be done during an open rhinoplasty or using a closed technique.
The main steps are:
1. Access the septum either by opening the nose or incision through the mucosa.
2. Identify and remove the the deformed bony and/or cartilginous septum but preserving enough cartilage to support the nose.
3. Reshape the remaining cartilage to bring it into the midline and straighten it.
4. Reinforce the cartilage to ensure it maintains the shape.
5. Complete any other rhinoplasty procedures and close the incisions.
The whole procedure can take between 1 to 4 hours depending on what else is done and what technique is used.
It can be done as a day surgery procedure, you can go home on the same day.