Need COVID-19 guidance? Check out our latest resources

How is eczema treatment different when I am pregnant as compared to other times?

• Answered3 times
  • Viewed407 times

During pregnancy, some people can experience flare or worsening of their eczema. The hormonal changes can lead to a number of itchy skin rashes such as:

• prurigo in pregnancy
  • atopic eruption of pregnancy
  • intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy 
  • polymorphic eruption of pregnancy.

So it's important to be sure of the diagnosis.

During pregnancy, it is safe to use gentle soap-free cleansers and moisturizers. You should use them regularly as we do in eczema treatment.

You can also use topical steroids. But it is best to avoid using very potent steroids for too long and to large areas. I would recommend opting for milder potency topical steroids.

Oral antihistamines can be taken during pregnancy. They are generally safe. But your doctor will choose those that have a better safety profile in pregnant women. 

In general, we do try to minimize taking oral medications during pregnancy. You can discuss this further with your doctor or dermatologist.

The principles of treatment of eczema during pregnancy is similar to the
treatment of other diseases during pregnancy, which is to minimise the use
of medications which can have an effect on the growing baby.

As such, in my practice, I assess the severity of my patient’s eczema.

For very mild cases of eczema, simple measures like using non soap-based shower creams, regular moisturising will be helpful and it will definitely not
have any effect on the baby.

For more moderate to severe cases, other than the above regular moisturising, I will give a course of topical steroids to treat the flare of eczema. Topical steroids are applied on the skin, work locally on eczema and are generally safe during pregnancy.

The principles of treatment of eczema during pregnancy, is similar to the

For very mild cases of eczema, simple measures like using non soap-based
shower creams, regular moisturising will be helpful and it will definitely
not have any effect on the baby. A mild potency steroid such as
Hydrocortisone 0.01% or Betamethasone 0.025% can also be used to treat the
flare.

For more moderate to severe cases, other than the above regular
moisturising, stronger courses of topical steroids like betamethasone 0.1%
can be used. Topical steroids are applied on the skin, work locally on the
eczema and are generally safe during pregnancy. Once the flare is
controlled, wean off the topical steroids and just continue regular
moisturising

As eczema can get quite itchy, and scratching it can worsen the flare of
eczema, I usually also give my patients some anti-histamines to reduce the
itchy sensation. I like to give a day-time non drowsy antihistamine like
cetirizine which enables my patient to continue with their daily activities
and a night-time drowsy antihistamine like Chlorphenamine which allows them
to have a better night sleep. Most antihistamines are safe for pregnancy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own question now FOR FREE.

A Gynaecologist's Complete Guide To IVF In Singapore (2020)

Since the first in-vitro fertilization (IVF) baby was born in 1978, the science of fertility has been advancing at breakneck speed. The technology we have today to help couples conceive would have been science fiction to those of our parents’ generation. This guide will explain all you need to know about IVF treatment in Singapore, as well as address the most frequent questions that patients who are trying to get pregnant commonly ask me in clinic.

The Complete Guide to Acupuncture in Singapore (2020)

Acupuncture is a Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) practice that can be traced back to at least 2,500 years ago. Over the last few years, this method of treatment has received growing interest in Singapore. 

More medical professionals (i.e. doctors and dentists) are now becoming accredited acupuncturists. As an experienced TCM physician who has a special interest in performing acupuncture treatments, I’m writing this post to help you understand how it all works.

I hope this post will help to shed some light for those of you who are interested in going for acupuncture treatments.

It covers important points that my patients, friends, as well as family often ask me about, such as: 

• How does acupuncture work?
  • The cost of TCM acupuncture treatment in Singapore
  • How to find a trusted TCM clinic for acupuncture treatment in Singapore
The Complete Guide To Birth Control In Singapore (2020)

" A doctor with a passion for women's health"

Birth control is a topic that's still not commonly discussed in Singapore.

However, with the increase in sexual awareness and activity amongst the younger generation in Singapore, it's important to raise the awareness of reliable birth control methods.

Going through a situation when an unwanted pregnancy happens can be really stressful and emotional. You must know that this situation can easily be avoided!

Therefore, I have decided to write this article to help both men and women gain a better understanding of birth control and how to use them correctly. 

The Complete Guide To Vitiligo Treatment In Singapore By A Medical Doctor (2020)

"General Practitioner with an interest in vitiligo"

Vitiligo is an acquired skin condition where areas of the skin lose their pigment over time, resulting in the formation of white patches on the skin. Famous personalities living with vitiligo include Winnie Harlow (of America’s Next Top Model fame), Joe Rogan, Amitabh Bachchan, and most notably, of course, Michael Jackson. 

This is not a rare condition. In fact, as many as one in 100 people are estimated to be living with vitiligo. However, even though vitiligo is relatively common in our population, there are large gaps in knowledge regarding the condition in Singapore and Asia.

As a doctor who focuses on treating patients with vitiligo, I decided to write a guide to share my experiences. I will touch on the condition, how it is managed in Singapore, and methods with which people living with vitiligo can improve and maintain the health of not just their skin, but also their overall physical wellness.

Read on to find out more about:

• What is vitiligo and what causes it?
  • What are the symptoms of vitiligo?
  • Who is more likely to get vitiligo?
  • Is vitiligo hereditary?
  • Can vitiligo go away by itself?
  • Can vitiligo be prevented?
  • How is vitiligo diagnosed?
  • Can vitiligo be cured?
  • How is vitiligo treated in Singapore?
  • When should I seek treatment for vitiligo?
Hysterectomy: All You Need To Know With A Singaporean Gynaecologist

"More than 20 years of obstetrics and gynaecology experience"

Did you know that between 2010 and 2013, 386,226 women had done a hysterectomy in the United States? [1] In fact, hysterectomy remains to be one of the most common surgeries that Singaporean women go through.

As a gynaecologist myself, I would love to help clear up some of the doubts surrounding hysterectomy. At the same time, I would like to help you find the suitable forms of treatment that works best for your case.

Here are a few key points that you should know about hysterectomy. Click to find out!