How long do I have to wait after tooth extraction to get dental implants?
The short answer is that it depends. Every patient is different and each case is decided upon on its unique merits and clinical situation.
Sometimes you can have an immediate implant placed right after the tooth is extracted.
Other times , it is best to wait 3-6 months for the site to heal and regenerate before the implant is placed.
Some factors that would influence this would be:
- Skill and experience of the dental surgeon
- Presence of any pre-existing infection in the surgical site
- The extent and severity of such an infection if present
- Whether extensive bone and soft tissue grafting Is required at the surgical site
- The level of aesthetic concerns of the patient.
- The financial budget of the patient
Dr Gerald Tan
BDS, FRACDS, MJDFRCS
1 Grange Road
#12-03 Singapore 239693