How long does an abscess take to heal after drainage? (photo)

Hi doctors, I'm a 24 year old female who is healthy - no diabetes/chronic illnesses etc. I had an abscess on my foot which was drained about 2 months ago.

The wound was left open to heal via secondary healing. I was told that there was no further infection.

The wound still looks purplish around the pink epithelial tissue, which seems to be healing slower than I thought. Should I be concerned that the purplish areas still feel hard, and the pink tissue feels very sensitive and tight at times? When would it be appropriate for me to start exercising (jogging/running) again? I had a rather sedentary lifestyle (only took 15 mins walk every day after work) before and wanted to change that by gradually getting back into shape. Thanks and Happy Valentine's Day to all DxD doctors and dentists! 😃

How long does an abscess take to heal after drainage? (photo) 5a8448f6ee1d8d004d834441
Dr Paul Ang
Dr Paul Ang
"Family Physician with special interest in Mental Health"
Thank you for your question and your picture. In the picture, the wound looks healed already. The healing process of this surgery is greatly dependent on the following factors and can be highly variable:

1) Surgeon factors: the technique of surgery, the after surgery care.

2) Patient factors: whether the patient has some conditions that might affect wound healing.

3) Wound factors: the size and the location.

Every single wound is different, the best person to ask should really be the surgeon.

You should check with your surgeon if if is ok for you to start exercising when you go for your follow-up check ups. 

3783 views 15 Feb 2018
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Orthopaedic Surgery Skin, Hair & Nails Health & Fitness or ask your own question now FOR FREE.