How long does it take for the effects of jaw botox to wear off if the results are unsatisfactory and I wish to regain my old facial structure?
Jaw botox is a very common medical aesthetics procedure in Singapore that I perform very often.
How long does it take for the effects of jaw botox to wear off if the results are unsatisfactory and you wish to regain your old facial structure?
If this is your first time, generally at about 3 months, new nerve connections are established, bypassing the effects of botox. The muscle gradually regains its strength and function over the next 1-3 months. The muscle weakening effect of Botox generally lasts between 4 to 6 months. Once the muscle regains its function and you start using it again, it slowly returns to its original size over approximately 1-3 months. Based on studies, volume reduction was estimated to last around 9 months.
However, if you had been having repeated botox injections into the masseter, the underlying mandibular bone may also become slimmer due to the reduced stress. Studies have shown that after repeated botox injections, the reduction in volume can persist even a year after the last injection. Facial shape changes after repeated injections may last longer.
Not to worry, it may take time but the effects of Botox will eventually wear off.
Hope this helps!
Dr Wan Chee Kwang
- Cheng J, Hsu SH, McGee JS. Botulinum Toxin Injections for Masseter Reduction in East Asians. Dermatol Surg. 2019 Apr;45(4):566-572.
- Chang CS, Lin S, Wallace CG, Hsiao YC, Lin CM, Kang GC, Chen ZC, Chen PK, Lo LJ, Chen YR, Chen JP. Masseter Muscle Volume Changes Evaluated by 3-Dimensional Computed Tomography After Repeated Botulinum Toxin A Injections in Patients With Square Facial Morphology. Ann Plast Surg. 2019 Jan;82(1S Suppl 1):S29-S32.
- Yeh YT, Peng JH, Peng HP. Literature review of the adverse events associated with botulinum toxin injection for the masseter muscle hypertrophy. J Cosmet Dermatol. 2018 Oct;17(5):675-687.
- Lee et al. Repeated injections of botulinum toxin into the masseter muscle induce bony changes in human adults: A longitudinal study. Korean J Orthod. 2017 Jul;47(4):222-228.
- Raphael et al. Osteopenic consequences of botulinum toxin injections in the masticatory muscles: a pilot study. Journal of Oral Rehabilitation, 41(8), 555–563. J Oral Rehabil 41: 555–563.
While the effect of jaw Botox in reducing the contraction power of the jaw muscles will wear off in 4-6 months, the effect on the facial appearance may take several months more to normalize as the reduced muscle bulk will take more time to get back to its normal size.
Hope this helps!
What's Bimaxillary Protrusion And How To Fix It?
An individual's dental structure can often determine the appearance of his or her face. Many people are affected by visible protrusions derived either...READ MORE
The Complete Guide to Chin Fillers in Singapore (2020)
Chin fillers have been gaining popularity among younger patients. The procedure not only allows patients to achieve a V-shaped face, but also corrects...READ MORE