How long should steroid cream for eczema be used for? (photo)

I'm a 38 year old female. I started to notice a 10 cent coin sized brown scaly patch on my feet for a month now. I was told that it was eczema, and was prescribed steroid cream. How long should I use the steroid cream for, and will continued usage of the cream have any major side effects? How can I prevent eczema from spreading? Thanks for your advice!

How long should steroid cream for eczema be used for? (photo) 5b3cb7ff0b8d320053666c42

We usually would advice applying steroid creams till the rash has cleared.  When the rash resolves, it may leave a brownish pigmentation and this is termed post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. This pigmentation will gradually resolve on it own. You should stop the topical steroid application at this stage.

Prolonged use of topical steriods can lead to thinning of the skin and skin atrophy. Striae or stretch marks can develop with overuse of topical steroids. The risk of skin thinning depends on the strength, amount and frequency of application of steroids. The site of application is also important as areas where the skin is thin such as the face and flexures are more susceptible to the thinning effects of steroids. Strong steroids should be avoided in these areas.

You should therefore be aware of the strength of the topical steroids that you are using  and avoid overuse of strong steroids. You can discuss this further with your doctor.

Dr Colin Theng
MBBS, MRCP, MMED (Fam. Med), FAMS

The Skin Specialists & Laser Clinic

Mount Alvernia Medical Centre D
820 Thomson Road #07-61

1483 views 4 Jul 2018
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Skin, Hair & Nails Eczema or ask your own question now FOR FREE.