How much caffeine is too much?

• Answered1 time
  • Viewed307 times

Although caffeine use may be safe for adults and may even provide health benefits in many people, excessive caffeine consumption can also pose health problems. No more than a maximum of 400 mg of caffeine a day is recommended as a dietary intake guideline. That is the same amount present in four cups of brewed coffee, 10 cans of cola or two energy drinks.

Women who are pregnant, breastfeeding, or trying to conceive should seek medical advice about their caffeine intake. If one experiences symptoms such as migraine, headache, insomnia, anxiety, frequent urination, fast heartbeat, and abdominal discomfort, one should consider reducing their caffeine intake.

Light and moderate caffeine intake have been shown to demonstrate health benefits such as heightened brain function, better memory, increased energy levels, fat-burning, and improving stamina. Caffeine is also associated with decreased risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, Alzheimer's disease, dementia and Parkinson's disease. Coffee and tea, which are the most popular caffeinated beverages are also rich in powerful antioxidants, and many people obtain more antioxidants from these beverages than from fruits and veggies combined.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

Why Hangovers Feel Terrible, And A Few Personal Hangover Hacks
All You Need To Know About Rhinoplasties (2020)

nose implant in a palmNose jobs, or rhinoplasties, are one of my favourite procedures to perform as a plastic surgeon. I enjoy discussing with patients on how they can achieve the most aesthetic and natural looking nose possible.

This applies especially to those who are tired of having nose fillers or threads done repeatedly or the typical widened/ill-defined appearance their procedure might have given their nose.   

However, there are many factors to consider in tailoring the best type of rhinoplasty for you. In fact, planning and performing the surgery can get really daunting. This is why many plastic surgeons in Singapore simply choose not to perform rhinoplasties beyond simply placing a silicone implant.

This Singaporean Cardiologist Who's Saved Over 1000 Lives Shares What You Must Know About Heart Disease

Heart disease is not something we like to think about, right?

Unfortunately, many of us in the red alert zone are either unaware, or wait until it’s way too late. Guess you could chalk it up to human nature. 

Dr Julian Tan - a physician and cardiologist with a huge amount of experience lays out some important things that you should know.

First Aid in Singapore: Everything You Need to Know With A Certified Doctor

"Family Physician with special interest in Mental Health"

It does not matter where, when, or who. Emergencies can happen anywhere and at any time. It may also happen to anyone, regardless of age and condition.

It is always best to be prepared. How you react to an emergency could be a matter of life and death.

If someone's heart stopped beating and they have to wait for an ambulance to arrive, chances are, it is already too late. Permanent brain damage can occur only after 4 minutes without oxygen. Death can also occur within 4-6 minutes [1].

This is why learning First Aid and Basic Life Support is super important. Being trained would give you the skills to assist and provide care for emergency patients before an ambulance arrives.

Anyone can become a certified First Aider. In Singapore, you can find various basic First Aid courses as well as occupational and more advanced courses. Some schools, community centres and offices also provide free basic training.

You might know that it is a very important skill to have. However, what does First Aid actually mean? What are the things that you should know? Read on to find out more!

13 Side Effects of Chemotherapy This Oncologist Wants You to Know About

Chemotherapy has a wide variety of side effects, and they are unpredictable because they are dependant on the type of chemo drugs that are recommended by your oncologist. Furthermore, the majority of chemo patients experience side effects because the treatment is unable to differentiate between cancerous cells and healthy cells.

I am Dr Ooi Wei Seong, a medical oncologist at International Cancer Specialists. In this article, I will talk about 13 side effects of chemotherapy that all cancer patients and caregivers should be well-informed about.