Joce

How much does minimally invasive bunion surgery cost in Singapore, and is it effective for my bunion? (photo)

Orthopaedic Surgery

I’m a 28 years old female that has recently developed pain in my bunions on both feet. I had them for a couple of years, and they haven’t been giving me problems till last year. The left bunion hurts even when I’m not wearing shoes and whenever I press on it, it is painful. Is minimally invasive bunion surgery useful in helping my bunion? I was wondering how much it would cost to do a bunion surgery in Singapore, and whether there is any subsidy for it?

Hi Jace, the cost of open and minimally invasive bunion surgery is about the same in Singapore. This can range from about $800 to $2,000 for subsidised patients. 

For private and unsubsidised patients, the costs of bunion surgery can range from $5,500 to $12,000.

The final cost of bunion surgery depends upon the type of surgery being carried out, and severity of your bunions. From your picture, your bunions appear to be suitable for minimally invasive (MIS) keyhole surgical correction.

The total cost of bunion surgery in Singapore includes:

1. An orthopaedic consultation and X-ray
  2. Bunion removal surgery
  3. Medications and consumables

The main factors that affect how much you pay include:

• Whether 1 feet or both feet are affected
  • The severity of your bunion

You can claim Medisave for bunion surgery in Singapore. 

0 1358 views 0 Doctors agree 1 Aug 2018
0 0

Dear Joce,

Sounds like you are having quite notable pain!

One questions springs to mind: WHY?  Have you changed something in your activities?  Have you altered your footwear?  Have you changed your occupation?

As Dr Sean mentions, MIBS would be an option, but perhaps there are non-surgical approaches to try first before you go under the knife? 

Perhaps seeing a podiatrist to look at your footwear, consider taping or look at orthotics?   

These might not reverse what has already changed in the toe but it might alleviate your symptoms, particularly as the pain is quire recent.

Maybe give that a go and see how if it works.

Good luck with your feet.

BW

0 2140 views 0 Doctors agree 14 Apr 2018
0 0

Hi Joce

Thank you for your question. From the pictures, your bunions are definitely suitable for minimally invasive (MIS) / keyhole surgical correction.

I would have to examine them more thoroughly and look at the X-rays to be doubly sure. A painful bunion is an indication for surgery, and from your description, it seems that they are bothering you alot.

MIS correction would definitely be useful, and benefits include lesser pain, less risks of infection and bleeding.

They are also cosmetically much more presentable. This procedure is a medical procedure, so it is covered under insurance, and Medisave can be utilised as well.

Best regards

Dr Sean Ng

0 2194 views 0 Doctors agree 13 Apr 2018
0 0
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Orthopaedic Surgery or ask your own question now FOR FREE.