How much gap should there be between each subcision session for acne scars to get the best results?

Acne & Scars Aesthetic Medicine

Hello, I'm 23 years old and I have mild acne, and a few scars. I went to my local dermatologist and he suggested 3 sessions of subcision and an acne lift, to be completed within 1 month as I'm leaving the country soon. These subcision sessions are only 7 days apart.

I'm worried about complications or problems caused by undergoing 3 subcisions sessions and an acne lift within this short period of time. How many days apart should be in between each subcision session for the best results and least chance of complications?

Published research has suggested to keep sessions at least 3 weeks apart. (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2956956/)

Personally, I keep the sessions at least 1 month apart for best results. This is to ensure that there is adequate recovery time, especially if i use a combination of Subcision, Fractional CO2 Laser and Fillers during the treatment session.

For more information on Acne scar treatment costs including subcision costs.

Hope that this helps!

0 1238 views 9 Apr 2018
Thank you for your enquiry. Weekly subscision does seem to be a tad too frequent to me as the skin would still be healing during this period.

Personally, I would keep it to at least 3 weeks apart to ensure sufficient recovery before performing the next treatment.

However, different doctors do have their own protocols, so it would be best to discuss it with your dermatologist. All the best!

Dr Ho Rui Ming

0 1270 views 5 Apr 2018

That's a great question.

My personal practice is to allow a gap of 1-2 months (depending on skin condition) before doing a repeat subcision. That would allow me to gauge better whether scar reattachment had occured or otherwise. That usually will take place in the initial weeks post subcision treatment.

Dr Winston Lee

0 1233 views 9 Apr 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Acne & Scars Aesthetic Medicine or ask your own question now FOR FREE.