How much scarring can I expect after tattoo removal?

Skin, Hair & Nails

I am worried that I will get scars after removing my tattoos, which is why I have been delaying treatment.

Hi Ges Shu,

Tattoo removal typically doesn't cause scarring. However, there is still a chance that your skin will scar because it's fighting against the trauma of tattooing and laser removal. There are also instances where patients scratch the wound while it’s healing and dig out the good skin cells, which leads to scarring.

There are also some treatment methods are slightly less prone to scarring. For example, I often recomend the PicoWay treatment to my patients because it lowers the chance of scarring much more than the Medlite C6 that I also use.

With this, the patient's skin tends to remodel after each treatment which allows me to deal with any skin textural changes as they occur. The Resolve handpiece also gives me greater versatility in reducing any existing scars and dealing with any potential scars.

475 views 14 Aug 2018

Hi Ges Shu,

Don't be worried! Tattoo removal typically doesn't cause scarring. 

Such complications are rare with appropriate types of lasers, correct laser settings and good post-treatment care.

I strongly encourage meticulous post-treatment care which consists of anti-inflammatory and antibiotic creams to minimise risk of infection/skin changes. I also tell my patients not to scratch their wounds. 

I recommend a Picosecond Laser, which is more effective and safer for tattoo removal than a Q-switched nanosecond laser. 

For more information on tattoo removal in Singapore (explains the appropriate type of lasers as well as cost of tattoo removals).

Hope that this helps!

436 views 17 Aug 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Skin, Hair & Nails or ask your own question now FOR FREE.