Home > TCM

How safe are TCM herbs in Singapore, given that China TCM herbs are known to contain high levels of lead, metals and pesticides?

TCM Health & Fitness Eu Yan Sang Singapore Healthcare

I've read that China TCM herbs have high levels of lead/metals/pesticides. Are most TCM herbs in Singapore imported from China? How can we trust that TCM herbs in Singapore are safe, and less likely to have all these food and drug safety issues?

Hi!

I believe Physician Lee Jin Shun has explained clearly the HSA requirements for CPM to be imported for resale in Singapore. The country of production of the medicines can also come from Taiwan, Hong Kong just to name a few. It can also be produced in Singapore. 

All CPM, before being approved by HSA to hold their approval label, will have to be laboratory tested at HSA-approved laboratories for safety levels, chemicals and other restricted substances as determined by HSA. The definition by HSA also ensures that CPM should not contain western medicinal ingredients such as steroids and NSAIDs etc as it will fall into another category. 

To be very sure, you can also check if the CPM you have bought has been approved on their website.  

Victoria

0 275 views 15 Dec 2018

Traditional Chinese medicines are broadly classified into two types:

I) Medicinal materials (from plants, animals, or minerals in their natural states, or in processed forms that have undergone simple processing, such as trimming or desiccation.

II) Chinese proprietary medicine (CPM) (finished form such as capsule, tablets and granules). As of now, only CPMs are subject to pre-market approval and licensing for their import and sale in Singapore. 

I have attached the links on HSA regulatory framework on medicinal materials and CPMs for the ease of your reading.

Guidelines for Traditional Medicinal Materials: 

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/content/hsa/en/Health_Products_Regulation/Complementary_Health_Products/Guidelines_for_Traditional_Medicinal_Materials.html

Regulatory framework pertaining to CPM:

http://www.hsa.gov.sg/content/hsa/en/Health_Products_Regulation/Complementary_Health_Products/Chinese_Proprietary_Medicines.html

0 149 views 23 Jan 2019

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to answer this question which I get very often in my practice.

Traditional Chinese Medicine is broadly classified into two types:

• Medicinal materials (from plants, animals, or minerals in their natural states, or in processed forms that have undergone simple processing, such as trimming or desiccation.
  • Chinese proprietary medicine (CPM) (finished form such as capsule, tablets and granules).

Currently, only CPMs are subject to pre-market approval and licensing for their import and sale in Singapore. The next time you purchase a CPM product, you should look out for the following label:

TCM medication singapore

There are specific guidelines for traditional medicinal materials. According to the Health Science Authorities, (HSA) it is the responsibility of the dealer to ensure that:

(a)  The traditional medicinal materials do not contain any substances controlled under the Poisons Act and other prohibited substances such as Pangamic acid including its salts, Danthron, Suprofen including its salts and Rhodamine B.

(b)  The heavy metal contents of the traditional medicinal materials do not exceed the following limits: Arsenic (5 ppm), Copper (150 ppm), Lead (20 ppm) and Mercury (0.5 ppm).

(c)  The labels and packaging materials of the traditional medicinal materials (if any) do not stipulate any of the 19 diseases/conditions specified in the Schedule of the Medicines (Advertisement and Sale) Act, namely, blindness, cancer, cataract, drug addiction, deafness, diabetes, epilepsy or fits, hypertension, insanity, kidney diseases, leprosy, menstrual disorders, paralysis, tuberculosis, sexual function, infertility, impotency, frigidity, conception and pregnancy.

I hope you feel more assured and confident in TCM products used in Singapore.

With regards,
Physician Lee

0 471 views 20 Nov 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged TCM Health & Fitness Eu Yan Sang Singapore Healthcare or ask your own question now FOR FREE.