How safe is low dose Accutane/Isotretinoin in the long term?

Acne & Scars Skin, Hair & Nails

Hi I am a 24 year old male. I have been on Accutane for the past 2 years. Initially I was on 10 mg a day until my acne was controlled. For the past year I've been on 10 mg a week. Subsequently, my dose has been dropped to 10 mg every fortnight. Is this safe in the long run? Otherwise, when should I consider stopping Accutane entirely? Thanks!

Hello! It is good to hear that you have achieved good control of acne with isotretinoin. The low dose that you are taking now will reduce sebum (oil) production and maintain your condition.

From research studies done on adults, low dose isotretinoin showed no side effects to the body when the researchers did an extensive panel of blood tests on patients who took isotretinoin 20mg twice a week for 3 years.

Your dose is even lower than this so it is safe, provided that you do not have habits such as excessive alcohol intake, as that will stress your liver. 

If you find that your skin condition is well maintained on this current dose, you may continue it till your late 20s when you have less oil production and acne is not a problem anymore. 

Take care and happy holidays!

Best regards,

Dr Ker Khor Jia

750 views 17 Dec 2018
Whoever is treating you with the isotretinoin regime mentioned, is at least quite forward thinking and has thrown aside the old understanding that HIGH dose = good.

The dose is so low that it is known to be fairly safe.

In fact I am taking 10mg every fortnight myself for a continued oil control and my cholesterol and liver panels are normal. 

However some guys would be concerned pertaining to reproduction (whether it would increase the risk of fetal abnormalities). You can stop 3-6 months prior to your family planning and all should be good.

Meanwhile ensure your skin care products are suitable and you can eventually tail off your medications!

Winston

655 views 25 Dec 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Acne & Scars Skin, Hair & Nails or ask your own question now FOR FREE.