How should I modify my lifestyle or diet if I have a fatty liver? (photo)

Gastroenterology Diet & Nutrition

Hi, I’m slight overweight. An ultrasound scan stated that I had a fatty liver. However, my doctor did not mention whether any treatment, medical attention or review/follow-up is required. What is your advise on what to do next? How should I modify my lifestyle or diet if I have a fatty liver?

Fatty liver is a very common condition seen in Singapore. Although fatty liver tends to develop in people who drink regularly or who are overweight, it can happen to anyone regardless of body mass. We now know that this seemingly benign condition may result in chronic liver inflammation (NASH) and liver hardening if allowed to progress unchecked.

The good news is you can potentially reverse the harm by engaging in regular exercises and controlling your body weight.

If you can watch your overall calorie intake by choosing the right types of food and reduce your weight by 5-10% gradually, there is a good chance that your fatty liver will resolve.

If you consume coffee at least twice daily, there is some evidence to suggest that may help you further.

Do watch over the size of the gallbladder polyp you have. If there is a significant change in its size over a short period of time, you may want to consider removing it surgically as such a polyp can turn cancerous at times. Consider repeating your liver function test and ultrasound scan in 3 to 6 months time to monitor your condition. Best regards.

- Dr Quan

730 views 3 Aug 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Gastroenterology Diet & Nutrition or ask your own question now FOR FREE.