How to avoid complications after TCA CROSS treatment such as pigmentation and widening scars? (photo)

Acne & Scars Skin, Hair & Nails
I am 28 yrs old. I am planning on treating my deep pitted acne scars with subcision and TCA cross. I am worried that there is a risk that TCA CROSS can cause pigmentation and widening of scars. How can these risks be avoided, or minimised? Thank you!

TCA cross should be done carefully and under proper magnification to ensure accurate placement of acid. This can reduce complications associated with untoward spread/application of the strong acid beyond the scar, which can result in higher risks of post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation and scar widening.

That being said:

1. PIH is common after TCA in darker skins and should therefore be used wisely. Post-treatment skin care is essential, with sufficient recovery serums and sunscreen playing an important role.

2. Scars can appear to widen after TCA as the scars get shallower. As such, once the scars are shallow enough, laser resurfacing can then be used to further blend the scars.

Ensure you are followed up closely after your procedures and you should have a good response to treatment.

Cheers and Merry Christmas,
Dr Shane Abucewicz Tan

0 579 views 11 Dec 2018

Hi!

TCA Cross Complications can be minimised if you see an acne scar doctor who is meticulous and precise.  I also encourage you to invest in effective post-treatment recovery skin care. 

Meticulous technique by your acne scar doctor can help to minimise complications such as hyperpigmentation and widening of scars.

In my practice, I use magnifying loupes and use the syringe-dropper technique for TCA cross. This gives me good visualisation of your acne scars and precise delivery of the highly concentrated TCA cross.

Besides this, post-treatment recovery serums such as growth factor/cell recovery serums and sun protection are critical to ensure fast recovery and minimal complications. 

Please have a detailed discussion with your acne scar doctor for more advice!

0 518 views 12 Dec 2018

Can i advise that you discuss with your doctor about subcision and filler placement first? That would help improve the undulating appearance of your scars.

TCA Cross can widen scars if done poorly (technique wise) by having excessive spillage into the normal skin, or if the scar selection was done wrongly. Find an experienced practitioner for this treatment modality.

Post TCA pigment wise - sunblock is key! and you can use Q switch laser to reduce it 2-3 weeks after the therapy.

Hope all goes well and Merry Christmas!

Winston

0 409 views 25 Dec 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Acne & Scars Skin, Hair & Nails or ask your own question now FOR FREE.