How to decide between fillers or eye bag removal to get rid of eye bags and dark eye circles? (photo)

I'm 35. I am considering between fillers or eye bags removal to fix my eye bags and dark eye circles. What factors should I take into consideration in deciding which would be more suitable for me? 

How to decide between fillers or eye bag removal to get rid of eye bags and dark eye circles? (photo) 5c2486d750eae20053a60cbe

Hi Si Hui 

This is a common question asked by many of my patients. There are a few factors to consider when answering this question.

1. The severity of your eyebags. As you are 35 years of age and from your photos it appears that your eyebags are mild to early moderate in severity, Filler might be a good choice. The doctor will need to assess whether your eyebags can be adequately concealed with the fillers before offering this option. In my opinion if the fillers are not able to achieve a aesthetic outcome of at least 80% then this might not be the best option .

2. Whether the eyebags are associated with a tear trough depression which is commonly the case and if there are associated dark eye circles in your case. This makes you a good candidate for fillers especially if point no 1 can be fulfilled . Fillers are good option for treating the tear trough and dark eye circles.

3. The longevity of the results. Filler treatments would usually last from 6 to 12 months only. So if you considering something that has a more permanent result than surgery might be a better choice. However surgery does have a longer recovery period and the potential complications may be more . 

4. For some patients seeking an alternative non surgical solution I also offer the NILER procedure where a 0.6mm fibre optic laser is used to destroy the fat that causes the eyebag to bulge. The results do last longer up to 3 years but if there is an associated tear trough that is quite severe fillers may also need to be used 

5. For eyebags that do not seem to be adequately corrected with fillers alone, combination treatment with HIFU or Exilis RF may be beneficial.

Hope this helps and best of luck in finding the right treatment .

Regards

Dr KK Chew

612 views 27 Dec 2018
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Aesthetic Medicine Plastic Surgery or ask your own question now FOR FREE.