How to decide between veneers or braces for crooked teeth?

• Answered1 time
  • Viewed1,060 times

Yes, crooked teeth can be indeed be ‘straightened’ with porcelain veneers or crowns. However, there might be a risk of nerve injury. 

Let's examine the details. When you say crooked teeth, this means that your teeth are not aligned and we'd need to bring them into a well aligner arch. Teeth that are protruding will have to be trimmed sufficiently to make them go in line into the arch. Our teeth have a range of 1.5 - 3.5 mm of enamel and dentine thickness.

Imagine you have to bring the tooth in line by 2.5mm (which is normal when moving crooked teeth), you would have to trim away almost 3-3.5mm of tooth structure. Sometimes, this will encroach into the nerve of the tooth making root canal treatment necessary!

Personally, I would choose to straighten my teeth first, then place a thin veneers over it later. I would not trim so much of my teeth and place veneers just to straighten it and risking nerve injury.

If braces puts you off, you may consider one of the newest treatment method in teeth straightening, Clear Aligner Therapy. There are a couple of brands available now in Singapore.

That way, you don't have to content with metal braces that may be uncomfortable or unsuitable for working adults in the service line.

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

7 Steps To A Healthy And Attractive Smile

There's something about a bright, beautiful smile that makes a person really attractive. I know some people like the moody broody look in their partners….. but melancholy only gets you so far.

Imagine waking up to the glums every morning. Ewwww. It would feel like a Monday everyday. 😣

Most people are like me though! I like happy faces. RBFs or RAFs don’t quite cut it; as shown by studies.

6 Hacks After Invisalign For Perfect Teeth
When Can Protruding Front Teeth Be Fixed With Veneers?

Some people who have “rabbit teeth” may find them cute, while others may be less amused.

Protruding front teeth is pretty common in Singapore. While they might not lead to many severe consequences, there's still a high demand among Singaporeans to get protruding teeth straightened out.

So, how exactly can you improve the appearance of your front teeth?

A DoctorxDentist reader developed protruding front teeth as a child, with a sizeable gap between his two front teeth that stick out. He wanted to bypass the braces solution, and wondered if veneers could help. Dentist Dr Ooi Jing Liang responded to his enquiry.

Here's what he had to say. 

What's Bimaxillary Protrusion And How To Fix It?

An individual's dental structure can often determine the appearance of his or her face. Many people are affected by visible protrusions derived either from the jaws, incisors or other components of the lower facial structure. Due to this, there may frequently be concerns among patients regarding how exactly they can manage such structural inconsistencies.

Dr Priscilla Lu is an experienced orthodontist, specialising in dental issues faced by numerous patients. In a DoctorxDentist post, she focused on concerns and treatments involved in managing bimaxillary protrusion, a condition that she helps patients deal with. Here's what she had to say.

The Ultimate Guide to Clear Aligners in Singapore (2020)

Having a beautiful smile is not always about clean and healthy, neat teeth are also included. As it turns out, not everyone has them, so they might consider getting braces. In recent years, clear aligners have become more and more popular due to their benefits over traditional braces.

As a dentist with 3 years of specialist training in orthodontics, I completed countless clear aligner cases. I'm happy to share my tips and experiences with you in this article and hope that it will prepare you for decisions on your teeth alignment treatment.