How to fix black triangles after Invisalign treatment?

Orthodontics Cosmetic Dentistry Invisalign

The end results from my Invisalign ClinCheck shows me that I may have ‘black triangle’ spaces at the end of my course. I was wondering how the black triangles could be fixed? For example, could I propose to get IPR done mid-way? Thank you so much for reading and I look forward to your expert opinions! :-)

Thank you for your questions. Black triangles often appears after alignment in areas where there were previous overlapping of teeth, especially in adult patients. These black triangles can be minimized by doing some reshaping between teeth or what is commonly known as IPR (interproximal reduction) so that teeth can come closer together and minimize the black triangles.

However, if the black triangles are very broad, they may not be eliminated totally through IPR as we can only remove 0.25mm of enamel per tooth surface so that not to cause damage or sensitivity to the tooth itself. However, the black triangles can be minimize in this method.

Good and proper hygiene methods are crucial to minimize black triangles as improper use of dental tools or not cleaning these spaces properly can result in plaque build up and gum recession, which will cause enlargement of the black triangular spaces.

I would strongly suggest that you discuss your concerns with your orthodontist so that he or she can address them and plan your treatment accordingly. 

Dr Enrica Sham 

962 views 13 Nov 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Orthodontics Cosmetic Dentistry Invisalign or ask your own question now FOR FREE.