How to fix rotated teeth before removing my braces? (photo)

I have been in metal braces for about 18 months now. My orthodontist thinks that they are ready to come off. However, I noticed that my lower 1st molars on both sides have been rotated out of alignment. Because of the misaligned lower 1st molars, the top and bottom 1st molars do not fit ...

The most common cause for misaligned teeth in the finishing stages of braces is due to bracket/tube position.

In this case, there are 2 ways to address this minor issue:

1) Reposition the molar tubes

^ Poorly positioned tubes causing the first molars to rotate. Repositioning the tubes and including the 2nd molars has realigned the first molars.

This will allow the wire to guide the teeth into a better position dictated by the correct position of the tubes. The disadvantage of this method is that you will need to go back down to softer wires to allow the realignment to happen. This will mean that your braces will have to stay on for longer.

2) Use auxillary buttons and elastics on the inner (lingual) surface of the 2 molars

This allows you to stay in your current finishing wire and save time. The disadvantage of this method is that the buttons may be uncomfortable and this technique is not always successful. This is a good first line adjustment to attempt. If this is unsuccessful, then you may need to have the tubes repositioned.

Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Orthodontics Cosmetic Dentistry or ask your own question now FOR FREE.