How to get rid of a persistent lump in throat feeling, and will it go away by itself?

Ear, Nose & Throat Health & Fitness

Dear doctors, I’m a 25 year old man and since 1.5 years ago, I developed a “lump in throat” feeling which has never gone away. A doctor has told me that it may be due to an inward facing epiglottis. According to my doctor, he said it is not a problem. Nevertheless, I would like to know if my lump in throat feeling will go away by itself, and if there is anything I can do about it? Please advise.

A lump in throat sensation isn’t “normal” and should be thoroughly checked out with a nasal endoscopy examination. It sounds like you may already have had this done in the past if you have been told about an “inward facing epiglottis”.

We do see many people who present with similar symptoms like yours at our clinic. Many of them may have underlying conditions such as sinus infections or nasal allergy which leads to a drip of mucus from the nose flowing down and pooling in their throats, giving rise to a lump in throat sensation. We also call this “globus pharyngeus” in medical terms.

Other causes include acid reflux which can be treated with a course of medications.

It is important to get it checked out just in case there are more serious causes such as tumours or cysts growing inside the throat. Many people have so-called “inward facing”epiglottises and are not at all bothered by this so I am not sure I would be content to just leave it at that as the cause.

Take care and pls get it checked out properly soon.

639 views 29 Oct 2018

This is likely due to gastro-esophageal reflux. The acid from the stomach reflux back upwards to the larynx to cause inflammation and swelling , also known as laryngo-pharyngeal reflux. However, it would be prudent to see an ENT specialist to exclude any other sinister conditions.

598 views 29 Oct 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Ear, Nose & Throat Health & Fitness or ask your own question now FOR FREE.