How to get rid of an inflamed acne that is not responding to creams? (photo)

Acne & Scars Skin, Hair & Nails

Hi I'm 18. I've had this inflamed acne on my nose for 5 months already. It started of as a normal acne which was huge and red. I've tried benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid, Dalacin T and Retacnyl. This has helped to make it smaller, but it still remains.

Hi

From the description given as well as from the photo provided it would seem that the initial inflamed acne has become a nodular cystic acne ,

Such form of acne tends to be more resistant to topical treatment alone . As the acne lesion is isolated to the nose only I usually would not recommend oral medication. However if these lesions are more widespread a course of oral antibiotics would usually be beneficial.

In your case since it is isolated and persistent I would recommend two options 

1. Intralesional injection of cortisone / steroid . This is useful in reducing the inflammation and shrinking the cyst wall . The procedure is well tolerated and results can be seen within the week . 

2 Agnes Radiofrequency device which uses a very fine RF electrode needle to be inserted directly into the lesion. The tip of the needle will be directed towards the sebaceous gland and the energy/ heat generated will destroy the sebaceous gland . Once the gland is destroyed., the sebum dries out and the clog debris can be removed . You can expect good result about one week after treatment . The good thing about this treatment is that since the sebaceous gland in this area has been destroyed you should not get a recurrence of the acne in this area .

Hope this helps 

0 187 views 1 Jan 2019
Contact Doctor

Good morning,

The picture you've uploaded looks ulcerated and not typical of an acne lesion. I would recommend having a physical examination to rule out other possible cutaneous issues.

Cheers,

Dr Shane Tan

0 92 views 4 Jan 2019
Contact Doctor

From the picture, it looks like the acne papule has developed into a nodulocystic lesion. Options in this case where there is only one single nodule will include:

1. Intralesional steroid + antibiotic injection - This will aid in destroying the bacteria over the lesion and decreasing the inflammation and proliferation of the nodule. Usually the contents of the cyst can also be "flushed" out during the injection as well and typically the nodule will flatten in a matter of days. Occasionally a repeat injection may be required.

2. Electrocautery or Radiofrequency microneedling (AGNES) to destroy and dry up the infected sebaceous oil gland

0 135 views 3 Jan 2019
Contact Doctor
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Acne & Scars Skin, Hair & Nails or ask your own question now FOR FREE.