How to get rid of brown pigmentation at my cheeks? (photo)

Aesthetic Medicine Skin, Hair & Nails

I'm in my 40s and have light brown pigmentation on my face. Typically, how many treatment sessions are necessary?

Thank you for your question and photo. Due to limited resolution of the photo, it is difficult to conclusively diagnose the type of pigmentation that you have. It looks like you have solar lentigines and/or melasma. It would be best if you consult a doctor for a definitive diagnosis.

Depending on the type of pigmentation you have, a combination of laser (e.g. Q switch laser) and topical whitening agents e.g. Hydroquinone, Azelaic acid, Kojic acid etc. may be used. Type and number of sessions needed again depends on the type of pigmentation you have. Response to treatment varies between individuals but in general, 5-10 sessions of laser are needed.

To prevent worsening of your pigmentation, application of adequate sunblock (re-apply every 2-3 hours if possible) and avoidance of excessive sun exposure is key.

Hope this would be useful to you.

Best regards,

Dr. Soh

271 views 15 Feb 2019

This is an ill-defined patch of light brown pigmentation on the cheek.  With the limited history and exposure, melasma, a pigmentary skin condition affecting mainly the face and the neck, can present like this.  

This is a chronic skin condition and can only be lightened but not cured. I would recommend a combination of lasers, mainly the Q-switch laser in the toning mode, the Dual Yellow laser and the Thulium laser with skincare penentration, for lightening of the pigmentation and the associated reddenss due to blood vessels. Normally a therapuetic program of 6-10 treatments are recommended at monthly intervals, followed by regular maintenance treatments.  

Sun protection and lightening skincare is the cornerstone to the treatment of melasma.  Exfoliative chemical peels at monthly intervals can reduce the pigmentation as well.  Usually a series of 6 treatments are required to give satisfactory results.

226 views 18 Feb 2019

Based on your photo, it appears that you have either melasma or solar lentigenes (or both). This requires face-to-face examination for a more accurate diagnosis.

The type and number of treatment sessions will depend on your type of pigmentation. 

For most forms of pigmentation, I use a combination of Picolaser (picoplus) and whitening creams (Hydroquinone) or serums to treat pigmentation. 

Prevention is key - Use sunblock regularly and avoid excessive sun exposure as much as possible.

For more information on pico-laser treatments in Singapore.

Hope that this helps!

Hi!

The picture is not very clear. Does this pigment appear on both sides of the face?

A proper history of the pigment and your medical history is important. 

Your pigment does look like melasma though it is less common in males. 

Melasma is a life long condition and proper sun protection is so important. 

I usually recommend a thulium based laser with a topical skin care regime. It is important to avoid IPLs and heat based devices as those worsen the condition. We recommend 4-6 sessions, each done monthly. Patients usually see some improvement after the first month but best results require a few sessions.

Regards

Dr Yanni

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Aesthetic Medicine Skin, Hair & Nails or ask your own question now FOR FREE.