How to improve the appearance of a receded chin?

Aesthetic Medicine Plastic Surgery

I find my chin to be receding as I grow older. How can I improve the appearance of my receded chin? 

The occurrence of a receded Chin can either be genetic ( from birth ) or due to Aging changes.

From your description it would seem like it is due to Aging changes. The Chin can recede with age due to bone loss / resorption and soft tissue volume loss .

The treatment options will either be surgical or non- surgical.

Surgical options would include a Chin implant or genioplasty. It is not within my expertise to discuss these options in detail as they are better explained by a plastic surgeon. 

For non surgical options I would normally recommend the use of a dermal filler which is made of hyaluronic acid gel of a high lifting capacity which does not migrate . In my practice the gel of choice would be Restylane Lyft . 

The procedure in itself is quite straightforward and can be performed under topical anaesthesia either with a sharp needle or with cannula. Each doctor would have their own preferences and technique but they are usually quite similar . Following the procedure there is usually minimal swelling and no social downtime . There might however be a sore sensation over the injected area that typically can lasts a few days to one week. 

The advantage of choosing a hyaluronic acid filler is that if the injection is done not to the patient satisfaction it can be dissolved with a enzyme injection of hyaluronidase. These HA fillers typically can last up to 12 months in the Chin although repeated injections in the same area can make the result last up to 2 years in some cases .

Hope this helps 

0 95 views 30 Jan 2019

Thank you for your question. I had just attended an Ultherapy event yesterday and the speaker, Dr. Frank Lin highlighted the importance of chin aesthetics, which I must agree is often overlooked in the past. There are more patients coming forward to request for chin augmentation to balance their facial aesthetics and improve their jawlines.

There are numerous options to improve and augment a receded chin

1. Injectables - Fillers and Botox have been mentioned so I will just add some of my thoughts. Fillers such as hyaluronic acid fillers allow you to “try out” the look of a larger chin. I find that Radiesse is also a good option as it provides a longer lasting effect. Quite a few patients have since opted for a definitive chin implant once they are sure that a larger chin is what they desire. Something to add is that autologous fat grafts (using your own fat) can also be used to augment the chin. However, the look will be different from that of a chin implant as it’s softer and not as rigid.

2. Chin Implant - Chin implants enable the surgeon to change the shape and size of your chin which helps to improve the appearance of your jawline. The most commonly used material is silicone but other alloplastic materials such as Goretex and Medpor are also used. The procedure is usually done under local anaesthesia and takes about 30 minutes. It is often done in combination with other procedures such as Rhinoplasty or Facelift. Implants can increase the projection of the chin or the chin height (the distance from the lower lip to the bottom of the chin), but it is unable to reduce the vertical height of the chin (see genioplasty below). Chin implant augmentation is somewhat predictable in comparison to fat grafts. They can also be removed under local anaesthesia, and are thus reversible. One of the complications from chin implants is migration of the implant which is why I routinely secure the implant with the use of a small titanium screw. The other complication is infection which may require implant removal.

3. Genioplasty - Genioplasty or chin surgery is done for patients who want to augment the shape and alter the height or size of the chin. During a genoplasty procedure the bone is moved and fixed in the new position with titanium plate and screws. A genoplasty can provide the appearance of increasing the vertical dimension of the lower face, as well as reducing the vertical height of the chin. Similarly the bone can be moved forward to increase projection. The advantage of this procedure over implants is the absence of foreign body which is more prone to infection. However, the recovery and swelling is longer in comparison to chin implant surgery.

I hope this answers your question. Have a great weekend ahead!

Rgds,

Dr. Terence Goh

Plastic Surgeon

0 66 views 31 Jan 2019

HI!

We will all experience resorption of bone and loss of fat pad as we age; so most of us will experience a receded chin!

There are generally 2 options. 

1. A chin implant with a plastic surgeon

2. Injection of fillers into the chin for augmentation.

As I am not a plastic surgeon, I will not be discussing the procedure but do talk to a plastic surgeon if you are keen!

Injection of fillers are considered an office procedure done under local anaesthetics (numb cream). The procedure is done under an hour with common side effects such as bruising, temporary lumpiness and an aching sensation in the chin due to the stretch of muscle.

Rarely, fillers can block vessels causing overlying skin changes. If you are using a hyaluronic acid fillers, fillers can be DISSOLVED by hyaluronidase (in the rare event that you decide you do not want the filler anymore).

The technology has improved significantly and depending on individual metabolism, the fillers can last easily 18 months or longer.

A common concern amongst patients will be if the chin will appear too long or too sharp after fillers!

Actually you will probably need to put a lot of fillers over a short period of time to achieve such a look.

Many times, between 2-4 syringes of fillers will create a natural silhouette and a nice jawline. Over time, a top up of 1-2 syringes once every year will maintain and improve this chin/jawline complex.

Hope this helped!

Best regards

Dr Yanni

0 109 views 29 Jan 2019
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Aesthetic Medicine Plastic Surgery or ask your own question now FOR FREE.