How to manage stress and anxiety-related issues due to school?

• Answered1 time
  • Viewed582 times

"Psychiatrist with over 20 years of experience"

It looks like you are facing a difficult phase of your life. Is it just stress from school or are there challenges from other areas of your life as well? Some teenagers also have problems arising from their family and from their relationship. If it is so complicated and overwhelming, it will be useful to get professional help as soon as possible.

If the anxiety is just related to school alone, my suggestions will be:

1. Try practising a relaxation technique like progressive muscle relaxation techniques. You can try looking for a you tube video that teaches you how to relax by practising deep breathing and muscle relaxation techniques. Many of my patients report feeling more relaxed after they put aside some time each day for relaxation. 

2. Sometimes it is helpful to write down all the tasks or homework that you have to do and learn to prioritise them. It will be good to learn to tackle one task at a time. For the more challenging tasks, you can also learn to break them down into smaller parts and learn to tackle a small part at a time. 

3. Try going for walks for half an hour a day. This can be very relaxing and can calm your  nerves now.

4. Some students find it helpful to study in groups.

5. Try talking to your best friend about your problems. If you all are classmates, he or she may be able to understand the challenges that you face. 

6. You may want to seek help from a mental health professional so that your anxiety can be explored further. The doctor will also assess if you are depressed. Clinically, most patients with anxiety problems also have depressive features. There are medications that can be used to treat both anxiety and depression.

Do take good care of yourself and I hope you will feel calmer soon.

Dr Ng Beng Yeong

Not the answer you're looking for? Just ask your own quesiton now FOR FREE.

How Mindful Breathing Helps Reduce Stress

Bet your bottom dollar you didn’t know this, but stress is one of the biggest risk factors for gum disease progression! It can exacerbate gum disease suddenly and cause your teeth to shake. And sadly, I have concluded that no one is spared from the effects of stress.

From the rich to the poor, from the young to the old, from the educated to the illiterate. Stress affects everyone, but the ones that remain healthy and unaffected by stress are the ones that have learned to cope with it.

Hair Loss Treatment In Singapore: A Doctor's Guide (2020)

About 99% of hair loss treatments in Singapore that you see advertised on local media do not work at all. You probably know exactly which adverts I'm talking about - they often feature Mediacorp artistes.

Just how much money is wasted on these ineffective treatments? A lot. Hair loss treatment is a whopping $3.5 billion industry.

Hysterectomy: All You Need To Know With A Singaporean Gynaecologist

"More than 20 years of obstetrics and gynaecology experience"

Did you know that between 2010 and 2013, 386,226 women had done a hysterectomy in the United States? [1] In fact, hysterectomy remains to be one of the most common surgeries that Singaporean women go through.

As a gynaecologist myself, I would love to help clear up some of the doubts surrounding hysterectomy. At the same time, I would like to help you find the suitable forms of treatment that works best for your case.

Here are a few key points that you should know about hysterectomy. Click to find out!

A GP's Take on Urinary Incontinence in Singapore

Urinary incontinence is a medical condition resulting in the involuntary leakage of urine. Urinary incontinence is actually a very common condition in Singapore. But it is under-reported and under-diagnosed. It is actually a very treatable condition. In this article, I will share with you the causes of urinary incontinence and the treatment options available to you.

Read on to find out more!

ReLEx SMILE in Singapore: The Complete Guide by an Eye Doctor (2020)

ReLEx SMILE is a laser eye surgery to treat myopia and astigmatism. It is a minimally invasive procedure that aims to help you gain independence from glasses and contact lenses.

I am sure that you have heard about similar procedures such as LASIK and Advanced Surface Ablation (ASA). There are also different types of ASA such as PRK, epi-LASIK, LASEK, and TransPRK. All these methods exist to treat different eye conditions. That said, your suitability also depends on the shape and anatomy of your eye.

Blurry vision can be a problem that affects your quality of life and performance at work or in school. Although most people wear glasses and contact lenses to address that, they can still be an inconvenience.

In this article, I will discuss how ReLEx SMILE can be a suitable option for you, explain its treatment process and compare it with other treatments.