How to reduce oily skin?

Acne & Scars

I have oily combination skin, with acne outbreaks when my period is near. I’ve been using face wash with Salicylic acid in it. Does Differin cream help reduce oily skin? If I were to add Differin in my skincare routine, I’m afraid my skin will be very dry.

Hi Nur,

A salicylic wash is a good choice of skincare for oily skin. Differin definitely helps too with reducing oily skin. While it may cause some dryness and irritation initially, most people develop a tolerance to it after a period of regular use.

Some tips that may help reducing the dryness: 

1. Applying Differin only on the oilier areas of the face (usually the T-zone and occasionally jawline/chin for ladies),
2. Spacing out the use if it is too dry (using once every 2-3 nights instead),
3. Mixing it with a moisturiser before applying (usually a pea size of Differin is enough for a typical sized Asian face)

Acne outbreaks when your period is near is relatively common in ladies. This can be due to many lifestyle factors, but may also be a medical condition that will benefit from early intervention. If the symptoms are really bothering you, I would advise you to seek advise from a medical doctor. Hope this helps!

0 588 views 14 Jul 2018
Contact Doctor

Dear Nur,

In addition to Dr Chua's tips, I would suggest starting topical tretinoin GEL (for oily skin) vs cream (for dry skin) at initial lower concentrations of 0.025% or 0.05% to be used once every 2-3 nights and then stepped up subsequently over a course of 2-3 weeks, especially since you are already using a face wash with Salicylic acid in it. Used in combination, both salicylic acid and tretinoin may cause more skin sensitivity and dryness.

A degree of dryness and irritation can be expected when initiated on tretinoin. If the side effects are intolerable, I would suggest stopping tretinoin and seeking a friendly medical consult for advice on effective acne control whilst minimizing potential side effects.

Cheers,

Dr David Deng

0 540 views 16 Jul 2018
Contact Doctor
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Acne & Scars or ask your own question now FOR FREE.