How to safely extract a decayed tooth if there is a bleeding risk due to high blood pressure?

My father is 69 years old, his tooth (molars) need to be removed because it's decaying badly. The problem is, his blood pressure is always high at 160/90 whenever sees the dentist. But at home, his blood pressure is 120/80. Now the dentists don't dare to remove the tooth because they are afraid of being unable to stop the bleeding once they remove the tooth. Can you advise? Thank you.

I understand that both you and your family are concerned about your father's blood pressure. It sounds like there is a possibility of 'white coat' syndrome where the blood pressure is increased only due to the 'nervousness' a patient might have when he sees a dentist or doctor.

As you probably know, it is not advisable for an extraction to be done where the blood pressure is very high and the cause is not established and treated. Such patients are also at a higher risk of bleeding after extraction and hence why it is crucial that he is treated by an experienced practitioner.

I handle many patients with complex medical conditions. I am very happy to speak to Cardiologists or a GP who is managing his blood pressure and might know about the intimate details of his blood pressure.

I would typically check his blood pressure with the monitoring equipment in my clinics and advise further. It would be very useful to know the details of the medications that he is on, his cardiologist or General Practitioner. Most importantly it would be great to have a record of the trend of his early morning blood pressure readings that he is taking at home for my analysis.

In addition, I hope we can sort out his dental decay and save the remaining teeth as he will need them to enjoy what we love doing best in Singapore.

yours,

Dr Samintharaj Kumar

486 views 27 Nov 2018
Not the question you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged Dental Cardiology or ask your own question now FOR FREE.