How to treat a groin and inner thigh fungal infection that keeps recurring after a few weeks?

Skin, Hair & Nails Health & Fitness

Hi Docs, my groin area itches on and off, as I perspire quite a lot and was told that I had a fungal infection around my groin and inner thigh area. I was prescribed anti-fungal cream (Gentrisone cream). It does work when applied. However, after 2-3 weeks, the fungal rash inevitably seems to come back again. 

Thanks for the question. There are a few possible reason for the rash on the groin. It could be due to fungal infection, eczema or intertrigo or even a combination of the above.

Gentrisone is made up of a combination of a potent topical steroids, an antifungal and antibacterial cream, so it may treat both an inflammatory condition like eczema and fungal infection.

If the rash is persistent and recurrent it may be useful to do a fungal scraping to confirm or rule out a fungal infection.

If it is indeed a fungal infection, I agree that treating with a pure antifungal cream, rather than a combination cream is far more effective in settling the fungal infection and you should continue for a further 2 weeks after the rash has cleared. In some cases, oral antifungal tablets may also be used.

520 views 18 Nov 2018
Dr Paul Ang
Dr Paul Ang
"Family Physician with special interest in Mental Health"

Thank you bml for asking this interesting question. Gentrisone is a combination cream with more than just antifungal.

In my experience, using a antifungal cream and an antifungal powder, as well as antifungal lotion to bathe with can be helpful. 

After the rashes resolve, it's also important to continue treatment for another 2 weeks because fungus can have spores that will come out again later.

520 views 18 Nov 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Skin, Hair & Nails Health & Fitness or ask your own question now FOR FREE.