How will I know whether subcision will be effective for my deep acne scars?

Dr Chin Yee Choong
4.7

"Dedicated to the ethical practice of Aesthetic Medicine"

The key principle of acne scar treatment is “controlled injury” to the dermis where the acne scar tissue are located. This controlled injury to the dermis allows for subsequent healing to occur, laying down new and more organized collagen tissue, and resulting in improvement in the appearance of acne scars.

The various techniques for inducing controlled injury to the skin include:

1. Energy-based e.g. Fractional lasering, fractional RF
  2. Mechanical e.g. scar revision surgery, subcision, microneedling
  3. Chemical e.g. TCA cross.

In general, subcision works for rolling and box-car type acne scars although such scars will also improve with other techniques especially the energy-based procedures.

Only via a proper assessment by an experienced doctor may the type and severity of your acne scars be determined and expected treatment outcomes counseled.