How will tooth decay and cavities affect my Invisalign treatment?

Orthodontics Dental Invisalign

I am currently undergoing Invisalign treatment. Unfortunately I also have tooth decay/cavities due to bad dental hygiene as a child. My Dentist said that she’ll keep an eye on the decay but didn’t provide any possible treatment plans. What can I do about my tooth decay and cavities during Invisalign, and how will it affect my treatment?

Hi there and thank you for your question. 

Invisalign is an orthodontic appliance that works by contacting the surfaces of your teeth to nudge them to the next position. Invisalign is customised and designed to be as close-fitting as possible to your tooth surface to effect tooth movement and have a better grip to stay in the mouth. Cavities restored with fillings that follow the original shape of the teeth pose NO PROBLEMS to Invisalign treatment. 

• New fillings that are TOO SMALL, will reduce the tooth surface area that Invisalign can grab and affect tooth movement and retention of the appliance. 
  • New fillings that are TOO BIG, will result in Invisalign aligners being unable to seat all the way down. This means that aligners can't grab onto teeth and is a serious problem. 
  • New fillings that ENCROACH onto areas with Invisalign's tooth-coloured attachments (which are meant to direct and control tooth movement) may result in a redo of these attachments. The surface of the new fillings may need to be prepped differently to allow attachments to be placed. New ceramic crowns are particularly at risk of this problem due to the glazing layer of porcelain crowns. 

If you are prone to tooth decay, your Orthodontist/ Dentist may prescribe Tooth- Remineralization medication (such as Tooth mousse) that can be applied in your aligners to wear overnight. Extra care is needed to clean the aligners in the morning. 

Hope this clarifies your doubts! 

Cheers and #StartSmiling,

Dr Poon Kee Hwang

Consultant Orthodontist

Dr Poon Kee Hwang
BDS (S'pore), MDS (Orthodontics), RCSED (Orthodontics), FAMS

My Braces Clinic
43 JALAN MERAH SAGA
CHIP BEE GARDENS
#01 - 80 Singapore 278115

614 views 14 Nov 2018
Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other answers tagged Orthodontics Dental Invisalign or ask your own question now FOR FREE.