If I do not have celiac disease, are there benefits to a gluten-free diet?

Dr Quan Wai Leong
4.8

"A specialist in Digestive Health and Advanced Endoscopy"

There is more awareness in adopting a healthier diet in recent years and a gluten-free diet is among one of the hotly debated topics. The touted benefits of a gluten-free diet include being more energetic, having less bloating sensation and other benefits related to various immune related medical conditions.

Gluten is found commonly in our everyday food including pasta, cakes, pie, crackers and beer. There products form an importance and economical source of energy, fiber and vitamins for our body. Diet with adequate fiber content is also important in maintaining a balanced microbial environment in our digestive system. 

As such, I am of the opinion that unless having celiac disease or possible gluten sensitivity, having a balanced diet containing gluten is not going to harm our body in any major way. On the other hand, there is limited clinical benefits in adopting a strict gluten-free diet which can be more expansive and challenging to adhere to most times.

- Dr Quan